UNtools 2.6 sometimes fails to open.

08-04-2020 01:00 AM
JanCreupelandt
New Contributor III

Hi,

Many times, I get the message "Tool has failed to open" when trying one of the Utility Network Package Tools.

Only solution is to restart Pro, and mostly this solves the issue.

I already removed my Python environment, then clone the default and add the untools again. But this doesn't seems to help. I still get this behavior.

This was something I never had with Pro2.5, but occurs now with Pro 2.6

Anybody has the same issue and now how to solve?

Thanks,

Jan

0 Kudos
12 Replies
ChristianBecker1
New Contributor II

Hi Jan
Hope you have solved this issue?
The Python Clone Lib. is essential to ArcGIS Pro for running the UnTools. The Python environment has to be up to date for the tool to work properly. So if you still get the Error opening the UN tools then try running the update of the UNTOOLS from the Python Command Prompt. This also installs updates to other dependencies, could help you getting the UnTools running again.

Paste this command to the command prompt:

conda install -c esri untools --insecure 

AnastasiiaSavchenko
Esri Contributor

Hey Jan Creupelandt I had the same issue as you did! I spent 2 days of work trying to figure it out. 

Here is what worked for me:

1. Uninstalling python and ArcGIS Pro (including any extensions I had installed separately).

2. Removing any leftover folders from Programming files for Python and ArcGIS. Make sure you have no leftovers of the previous clones(refer to this solution: "Failed to load system tools" error from ArcGIS Pro Geoprocessing - Geographic Information Systems S... )

3. Clear cache
Clear all cache files in the AppData folder:

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\ESRI\Local Caches

4. Once that done, I installed Python 3.6.2 again.

5. Installed ArcGIS Pro latest version.

6. Cloned a new env and used python command prompt to install untools with the line recommended by Christian Becker: conda install -c esri untools --insecure 

Once these steps completed, I finally got rid of the annoying GP error and all my toolsets work like a charm and my heart is beating again after lost hope... 

BillyBuerger
Occasional Contributor II

Just wanted to add that I get this on the most recent Pro 2.9 version from a clean install.  Whatever the issue is has not been addressed in Pro yet and is there out of the box.  I've generally gotten used to this issue and restart ArcPro whenever it happens.  But seems like something that I would have expected would have been addressed by now.  I haven't tried the command line install option yet but that's still a workaround for an issue that should be addressed.

0 Kudos