Can I migrate geometric network data to UPDM(2019) without linear referencing?

10-15-2020 06:23 AM
aaizMe
by
New Contributor II

I have two databases storing pipeline data. One is spatial and the other is non-spatial. The spatial has one geometric network and other simple feature classes. I need to perform migration from those databases to one centralized database, UPDM,2019. This is very simple data as it does not have any utility network or any linear referencing. I have seen the data template of UPDM. It has a utility network containing center-lines, calibration points etc. that are used for pipeline linear referencing.

My question is, can I transform my data to updm without linear referencing? Because, I have seen some feature classes in UPDM, they contain route_id.  

The data is huge, so if LRS is needed, how would I able to transform the data? 

What is best practice in such sceneries?

Can someone give me a guide line to implement this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

aaiz Me‌ The UPDM template has objects for both utility network and linear referencing to support Pipeline Data Management using #arcgis pipeline referencing‌ (APR) and/or arcgis utility network (UN). However, you can choose to implement UN only without linear referencing. It is a supported implementation pattern and in this case, you can ignore the LRS required objects like calibration points, routes etc. 

#gas and pipeline enterprise data management

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
aaizMe
by
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply Ayan. But the current database does not have UN either. It has a geometric network (GN), so do I need to create UN from GN? or just map the feature classes of database to the respective UPDM feature classes?

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

aaiz Me‌ Data mapping and migration are required steps towards implementing UN. There are several resources to help with the understanding of the processes:

Utility network creation and configuration—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Please also refer to the UN Data Migration Best Practices white paper. 

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos