Cruise point Generator for ArcGIS pro

01-28-2019 12:49 PM
Labels (1)
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

*This topic has been posted before but not for ArcGIS Pro*

I want to recreate the cruise point generator for older versions of ArcMap in ArcGIS Pro. For those who aren't familiar, timber cruises are a series of regularly spaced sample points used for forest inventory. Some of the complications are that foresters like to use chains instead of a reasonable unit, and like to stick to their grid as much as possible (by rotating it etc). 

The old workflow was something like this: create fishnet, clip by polygon, realize you don't have the correct number of points or their locations are off and start over. 

How (and in which environment - model builder, python, add-in) would you go about creating a tool that allows users to put in their grid spacing in chains (or other units), rotation angle, and polygon boundary to generate points?

PS I am fairly new to this kind of work and trying to teach myself as I go.

#forestry#forestry workflow#timber cruising#cruisepoint

2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

for polygonal or polyline bounds, there is 

Sampling Grids for ArcGIS Pro  or

If you are adept at coding, this will provide the basis

/blogs/dan_patterson/2019/01/17/transect-lines-parallel-lines-offset-lines 

Haven't gotten around to throwing it into a toolbox yet.

PS... chains isn't on the list so you will have to do the conversions yourself

epoole
by
New Contributor II

I will second this, I used the CruisePoint tool created by ESRI in ArcMap, however I don't think this will migrate over to Pro which we are being pushed towards.  It's an invaluable tool for setting up inventory cruises which in Forestry happens a lot!