Geometry Types

04-04-2014 06:25 AM
PaulAustin
Occasional Contributor
In the FGDB format the Polyline and Polygon allow multi-part geometries. I think it would be beneficial to have new types that restrict
linestrings and polygons to single part geometries. Multi-part geometries are a real pain when users visually have lines that look continuous but in reality don't connect at a common vertex.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Keep in mind that the FGDB API is a manifestation of the ArcObjects code that implements
file geodatabases.  Adding new types to the API isn't really in the realm of possibility, but
you are free to add a wrapper that customizes type representation for your purposes.

- V
0 Kudos
PaulAustin
Occasional Contributor
I guess I should have been more clear.

How about ESRI changing the specification of ESRI FGDB, ArcSDE etc to allow clients to specify that a FGDB file is only allowed to accept a single LineString or Polygon.

We as developers have no control over what kinds of data external users create in the FGDB format using tools such as ArcMap.

It could be something as simple as adding extra metadata in the XML description (e.g. <singlePartOnly>true</singlePartOnly>) that would be enforced by editing applications such as ArcMap.

Pass this along to whoever make decisions in the file format.

Multi part has caused my client (a large regional government ESRI licensee) a lot of hassle when accepting data from external contractors.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Enhancement requests can be submitted via ideas.esri.com, but I doubt
those that make decisions will approve such a significant change.

Fortunately, there are other solutions to the data validation problem.

- V
0 Kudos