Select to view content in your preferred language

Modelling of input/feed into DSO grid from a TSO or a production facility we do not own (e.g a small power plant)

05-31-2023 01:22 AM
Labels (3)
EivindAasland
New Contributor II

Historically we used to own what is now TSO grid (Transmission lines and primary stations) because of this we have had TSO grid available in our GIS system (geometric network)

When moving to UN we do not want to have all this data in the network (it is not updated, and we do not need a subnetwork for TSO grid at the moment, looking forward this could be updated via a cim file from TSO but we are not there for at least 5-10 years?) 

Typical in the TSO-DSO transition the transformer (is owned 50/50

Where there is input from a power producer, they often own a MV cable that feeds into one of our secondary substation. At this point there is a meter. (That we often miss in our grid today)

When looking into how we can model these situations we have not come to any conclusion. In our thought all we want is a "point" that can be in our network as a input/source point containing info of the input values, so it can be used in analysis.

Below is our latest attempt on how to model this (On the "high side" i have kept some of TSO part for reference)

- Here we have a "Generator, in lack of a asset type for "power source" or "Feeder point" or something better) then possibility for two meters (in theory power can flow both ways) then connected into our HV busbar.

PS the green lines is not in the model, just to indicate which transformer actually transforming.

EivindAasland_1-1685520697720.png

Have any of you modeled this or have some input or thoughts ?

Tags (4)
6 Replies
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

I guess the first question I would ask is do these Generation objects need to be returned by a trace?

If not, then if you want to have them just for visualization, then I would add them to classes not in the Utility Network.

If you do want them returned in a trace, then yes, they need to be in the Utility Network.  But, if you look at our Utility Network model found in the Esri Electric Foundation Solution, you will notice that there is an attribute for ownership.  This can be an network attribute allowing you to not include equipment you do not own in a subnetwork definition, but still included it in a trace.  

As for using CIM to bring in updates to the Generation equipment, you can use FME/Data Interop to accomplish that, but I would make sure to not replace all features in the CIM, just update them.  This will reduce the impact on the network index.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
EivindAasland
New Contributor II

Hi John, and thanks for the quick feedback. Just to give a short update and some elaboration.

Yes it must be returned in a trace in order to perform calculations and other analysis where the input is needed, and also to get it into subnetwork and after that CIM (for exchange with other systems).

We are aware of the ownership attribute, and use it already, but looks like there is a tip regarding the use of this attribute in the subnetwork definition i need to check, thanks. This could be useful where we today have a rather blury separation between our grid, and grid owned by external power producers.

Regarding CIM i agree it would not be problematic to get it "in" but do not think our TSO is ready to exchange their grid yet.

Do you think the way to draw it as in our ex is an ok way ?

0 Kudos
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

It's hard to tell from the diagram, as I don't know all your symbology.  But, It looks like you have some cases that might create loops, as I don't see any switches between what I think are circuit breakers, where the downstream side of the circuit breakers appear to be tied together with no switch between them.  

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos
EivindAasland
New Contributor II

PrimaryWithSubnetworks_2.jpg.png

 I have added some info on symbology, hopefully it can help. Also put in a pic. showing an ex. where the subnetworks are built to show how we have the subnetworks divided in a primary stations.

0 Kudos
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

Sorry for the late reply.  Yes, those switches being opened helps with my understanding and preventing loops.  Are these radial circuits or looped circuits?  

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos
EivindAasland
New Contributor II
Should in general be radial from what I understand (the internal subnetwork in a primary station) but can under some circumstances be operated as looped, but not as normal state
0 Kudos