GIS Portfolio ideas

05-31-2023 10:07 AM
Labels (1)
PanasheShammarChisenga
New Contributor II

Hi guys

I graduated last year in December with a Degree in Surveying and geomatics and my desire is to work in the GIS industry. However, one of the problems i have been facing is that as i apply for GIS jobs nothing seems to materialize so i have been doing some research into what i can do to increase my chances of getting employed and one of the standout hacks i found out is to have a GIS Portfolio. I do not have a GIS Portfolio so i wanted to ask you guys for some ideas on how to get started with my GIS portfolio i.e what are some of the GIS  products that i can create for my portfolio.

Tags (1)
10 Replies
AdamCarnow
Esri Regular Contributor

Here is a URISA Webinar on Building Your Professional GIS Portfolio: https://youtu.be/wBP-s4fP5uQ

Are you looking for a way to get your foot in the door for your next GIS job opportunity? Are you looking for a way to stand out from the crowd? Or maybe you're just looking for a way to share your hard work with the world. Whatever your reason, a professional GIS Portfolio is a great way to show
PanasheShammarChisenga
New Contributor II

Thanks so much

0 Kudos
MafaldaBastosMoura
New Contributor III

Could you send more helpful resources in the theme of GIS Portfolio?

0 Kudos
RosemaryBoone
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi there! YES in fact we had a webinar speaker @KylieTokar give a presentation on her own GIS portfolio/website she created that helped get her hired. You can watch the recording here.

Here is a blog about examples of how others used ArcGIS StoryMaps to build a portfolio or resume

I hope these help!

PanasheShammarChisenga
New Contributor II

Thank you !! Let me check it out.

0 Kudos
DanielLeón81
New Contributor III

Like you, a year ago I was in the same position without knowing how to materialize my job search for lack of a portfolio. However, I started as a freelancer on Upwork, freelancer.com and fiver which has allowed me to have a large portfolio of projects. I recommend you to start looking for small projects on these freelancer platforms where besides creating content for your portfolio you will be able to earn a small income. Good luck. Regards

RosemaryBoone
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @PanasheShammarChisenga - The URISA Vanguard Cabinet read your post and would like to share this with you:

1. Maptastic Resources - examples of GIS portfolios across the industry: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aLOpW2oQHw5r2vc70o8TiM5SJctR9TuH4a70d-ZtbXA/edit#gid=2487931...
  2. URISA Build Your GIS Portfolio Webinar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBP-s4fP5uQ

cc: @URISAVanguard @BrookeHatcher1 @SidPandey 

Are you looking for a way to get your foot in the door for your next GIS job opportunity? Are you looking for a way to stand out from the crowd? Or maybe you're just looking for a way to share your hard work with the world. Whatever your reason, a professional GIS Portfolio is a great way to show
PanasheShammarChisenga
New Contributor II

thank you so much

0 Kudos
RobinBruns1
New Contributor

Make a map of your hometown or a place that is meaningful to you. This could also be a networking opportunity if you engage with your local government to see if this print or web product is something that could actually help them.