Can a single feature class be symbolized with multiple color ramps using an expression?

Jump to solution
05-29-2018 07:35 AM
Labels (1)
JasonBaugh
New Contributor

Using ArcMap 10.6 to make monthly PDF maps for management.

I'm mapping a lease interest dataset that comes in 3 categories: 1. properties in which we already own interest year to date, 2. new interests we've purchased in the current month, & 3. new interests that overlap with the year to date stuff (we bought more interest this month in something we already had interest in).  I have attributes for acquisition month and for a feature overlaps a previous interest.

The lease features on the map need to be symbolized using color based on which category they fall into and the colors need to ramp from light to dark based on the magnitude of interest owned in the lease.  I was thinking this could be done using something like:

if (lease is in new this month and overlaps prev interest)

use a red color ramp

else if (lease is new this month)

use a blue color ramp

else

use a green color ramp

Is there a way to set the symbology with an expression like this or am I going at this problem the wrong way?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Suzanne-Boden
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jason, another idea is to symbolize your layer using "unique values, many fields" to represent your existing, new, and overlapping properties, then copy the layer and symbolize the copy based on magnitude of interest (you could use graduated symbols or colors--if symbols, the copied layer goes on top; if colors, the copy goes on the bottom). If using color ramps, set the unique values layer symbology to be an outline with no fill or apply a high transparency to a filled symbol so the layer with the color ramp shines through and indicates the magnitude of interest. These help topics may be useful: Drawing a layer using categories—Help | ArcGIS Desktop and About symbolizing layers to represent quantity—Help | ArcGIS Desktop .

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

There's probably a refined way to do this, but I can think of an immediate workaround that may suffice barring an elegant solution that can be provided.  What one can do is place three copies of the feature class in the Table of Contents, then use a Definition Query to limit each feature class to one set of conditions, then apply the appropriate color ramp for each.

Display a subset of features in a layer—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Chris Donohue, GISP

Suzanne-Boden
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jason, another idea is to symbolize your layer using "unique values, many fields" to represent your existing, new, and overlapping properties, then copy the layer and symbolize the copy based on magnitude of interest (you could use graduated symbols or colors--if symbols, the copied layer goes on top; if colors, the copy goes on the bottom). If using color ramps, set the unique values layer symbology to be an outline with no fill or apply a high transparency to a filled symbol so the layer with the color ramp shines through and indicates the magnitude of interest. These help topics may be useful: Drawing a layer using categories—Help | ArcGIS Desktop and About symbolizing layers to represent quantity—Help | ArcGIS Desktop .