Select to view content in your preferred language

What's the policy about referencing Esri/ArcGIS trademark in Startup's product name?

Jump to solution
03-30-2016 01:59 PM
NathanEnge
Esri Contributor

I have a startup customer almost ready to finish an ArcGIS application into ServiceNow. Regarding the naming of the app, are they allowed to use trademark Esri or ArcGIS in their product name and marketing (if they use the TM symbols etc).

For example StaveMaps for ArcGIS, or Esri Maps for ServiceNow, ...

In general, the app brings in an ArcGIS JSAPI map the client specifies. It then draws points based upon ServiceNow records. Some reporting, agregating, and analyses can be performed spatially.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Katie_Decker
Esri Contributor

Hello Nathan, great question! It would be better to take this offline, perhaps you can email me directly at startups@esri.com? But you are correct in the naming of the app, StaveMaps for ArcGIS, would be the proper naming. I have a document I can share, but some content is confidential... Plus, I would love to learn how  I can provide some marketing support to announce the integration and product launch!  Here is an explanation, of course it's always best to check with our contract team, Copyright Information or Permissions question submissions.

May I Use Arc in My Product Name? Esri has developed the Arc family of trademarks at considerable expense. All use of Arc in product or service names in the GIS mapping, services, or related fields is exclusive to Esri. To properly label your product and to identify affiliation with Esri products, you may name your product and then state, "for use with ArcGIS" (or other Esri trademarked products).

Example:

Bus Routing Application for ArcGIS . . . (not ArcGIS Bus Routing Application)

Please note that you may not use Arc or any other Esri trademarked name in your product line unless Esri has granted you the specific right in a trademark license agreement.

Use of Trademark Symbols: Word marks that have been registered in certain countries will use the registered mark symbol (®) when used in text. Many Esri word marks use a common-law trademark symbol (™) when used in text. Review Legal Information | Copyright and Trademarks | Environmental Systems Research Institute, Inc.

The trademark symbol only needs to be used once, after the first appropriate use of the word mark in a document.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Katie_Decker
Esri Contributor

Hello Nathan, great question! It would be better to take this offline, perhaps you can email me directly at startups@esri.com? But you are correct in the naming of the app, StaveMaps for ArcGIS, would be the proper naming. I have a document I can share, but some content is confidential... Plus, I would love to learn how  I can provide some marketing support to announce the integration and product launch!  Here is an explanation, of course it's always best to check with our contract team, Copyright Information or Permissions question submissions.

May I Use Arc in My Product Name? Esri has developed the Arc family of trademarks at considerable expense. All use of Arc in product or service names in the GIS mapping, services, or related fields is exclusive to Esri. To properly label your product and to identify affiliation with Esri products, you may name your product and then state, "for use with ArcGIS" (or other Esri trademarked products).

Example:

Bus Routing Application for ArcGIS . . . (not ArcGIS Bus Routing Application)

Please note that you may not use Arc or any other Esri trademarked name in your product line unless Esri has granted you the specific right in a trademark license agreement.

Use of Trademark Symbols: Word marks that have been registered in certain countries will use the registered mark symbol (®) when used in text. Many Esri word marks use a common-law trademark symbol (™) when used in text. Review Legal Information | Copyright and Trademarks | Environmental Systems Research Institute, Inc.

The trademark symbol only needs to be used once, after the first appropriate use of the word mark in a document.