Getting to Know Web GIS 5th Ed Ch4 Tutorials Incidents_points layer inaccessible

Jump to solution
10-09-2022 02:11 PM
MichaelRoha
New Contributor II

Hello, I was working through the Chapter 4 tutorials fine throughout the week and started today on 4.6 QuickCapture. In the Field Maps tutorial 4.3/4.5 I successfully added and used the incidents_points layer. 

Today I setup the QuickCapture project in 4.6 and went to use it in 4.7.  It shows the layer is unavailable. I went into the 4.3 map where it was originally added and it's showing the same error now even though it was working fine earlier in the week. I also tried to add it to a new blank map with the same error.

While the layer hasn't been updated by ESRI, it does show data change on 10/9 (today). Please advise as this prevents the layer from being used and I can't finish the tutorials.

I posted screenshots of the error in map viewer and field maps.

https://arcg.is/1jn0fO0

Thank you!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelRoha
New Contributor II

Well it ended up being something much simpler than all of that.  I cleared the cache and the offline website data and then all of the maps and layers that I had constructed with incidents_points started working again.  I have never understood why cache gets messed up like that with any website when it worked prior.  I never think to do that when it isn't calling out a specific error related to cache.  Oh well!

Thank you for your help.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

Hi Michael,

I just ran though it and didn't get an error, maybe try again? If that doesn't work make sure you created a reference layer (p. 144 steps 1-6). You won't be able to use the provided layer for the project and do have to create a referenced layer first, then add that newly created reference layer for use in the project.

Let me know how it goes,

Craig

0 Kudos
MichaelRoha
New Contributor II

Hi Craig,

Thank you for responding to my question. I followed the directions in 4.3 to create the incidents_line layer and then opened in Map Viewer and made the changes to complete that tutorial.  Tutorial 4.4 Step 5+ is where the problem is.

As I mentioned in my original message, this worked originally when I created it last week. Now it's giving the error message about not loading as per the jpg I uploaded called "incidentspoint error in web map".  I tried going through the adding process again and it won't even add it.  I removed the layer and then attempted to add it that way to no avail.

Are you saying that I need to add a blank layer separately as was done with the incident_line layer in 4.3, pull in the incident_points, then add it inside Map Viewer with the existing incidents_line layer?  If so then the tutorials don't specify that workflow.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

I was just referring to 4.6 where the author has you search for the "incidents_point" layer he provided, and then make a reference layer. 

I just tested searching for and adding the layers again and didn't have a problem, try deleting that map, opening a new one and adding the layers again.

Let me know if that works, if not we can figure something else out.

0 Kudos
MichaelRoha
New Contributor II

Well it ended up being something much simpler than all of that.  I cleared the cache and the offline website data and then all of the maps and layers that I had constructed with incidents_points started working again.  I have never understood why cache gets messed up like that with any website when it worked prior.  I never think to do that when it isn't calling out a specific error related to cache.  Oh well!

Thank you for your help.