Select to view content in your preferred language

Populating a field from another layer's field

08-02-2024 04:20 AM
NandhiniR
Esri Contributor

Hi,
I have many layers in my web map, in which I have to populate a field in Layer - A using Layer - B attribute table. Is there any way that I can do it?

2 Replies
Subhajeet
Esri Contributor

Hi Nandhini,

I've a query, are you looking for a attribute just to populating? If yes, an Arcade expression can help here. Or if a permanent join, then we may think on Join in the database (Left Join) or a view layer (combining Layer A and Layer B).

Let me know your thoughts!

0 Kudos
Subhajeet
Esri Contributor

Hey there!

In ArcGIS Enterprise, when you want to call or reference fields from a feature layer that is not directly part of the web map, you generally need to use Arcade expressions in a context where that feature layer is accessible. Arcade expressions are typically used for labeling, symbology, and pop-ups within the context of a web map or a web application.

If the feature layer you want to reference is outside the web map, you might need to work within an environment that allows for cross-layer querying or lookups. Here's a general approach using Arcade expressions in a scenario where you can access the data via the layer:

// Define the related layer by name
var relatedLayer = FeatureSetByName($map, "Related Layer Name");

// Filter and retrieve the desired feature
var relatedFeature = First(relatedLayer);

// Access the field values from the related feature
var relatedFieldValue = relatedFeature.YourFieldName;

// Use the value in your expression
return relatedFieldValue;

Always check the latest documentation or support forums for ArcGIS Enterprise, as functionality can evolve, and new features or methods may be introduced in newer versions.

0 Kudos