CSV Client for ArcGIS 10 (Windows7) failed

01-31-2011 05:05 AM
MartinOuellet1
New Contributor
hi,

I have installed the CSW client for ArcMap 10 on Windows 7.  When the tool is initialize in ArcMap, it failed because he can't find a config file (see attachment for visual):

"...can't find C:\Program Files\ESRI\Geoportal\CSWClients\Data\CSWProfiles.xml..."

Since I'am in Windows 7, the search path does'nt exist but this one does:
C:\Program Files (x86)\ESRI\Geoportal\CSWClients\Data\CSWProfiles.xml

I have changed the invalid patch in this file:
C:\Program Files (x86)\ESRI\Geoportal\CSWClients\bin\CswClient
to
dataFolder=C:\\Program Files (x86)\\ESRI\\Geoportal\\CSWClients\\Data

In the registry, there's no variable with the invalid path so I wonder why he still search for it on load?

Is it somehow "harcoded" in the csw client code?

MartinO
0 Kudos
3 Replies
CliveReece
Esri Contributor
MartinO,
Just ran the setup on my Windows 7 computer and the CSW client works fine .  I accepted all the default setup locations for the install location and log file.  I wonder if you installed initially to the "Program Files" directory for 64-bit programs rather than the "Program Files (x86)" directory. 

The configuration variables get set in the CswClient.properties file in your ArcGIS installation directory (e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\Bin"). 

You can try to edit that file.  If that doesn't work, I would suggest an uninstall and reinstall.

Clive
0 Kudos
MartinOuellet1
New Contributor
Thank Clive for your quick response.

Just like you did, I have installed the csw client in the default path proposed by setup:(Program Files (x86).

Just like you recommand, I changed the path variable in this file
"C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\Bin\CswClient.properties" and it's working now:
dataFolder=C:\\Program Files\\ESRI\\Geoportal\\CswClients\\Data
for
dataFolder=C:\\Program Files (x86)\\ESRI\\Geoportal\\CSWClients\\Data

BUT for your information, there is also a CswClient.properties file in this directory (which has no effect when loading into ArcMap)
"C:\Program Files (x86)\ESRI\Geoportal\CSWClients\bin"

Thanks again!

MartinO
0 Kudos
CliveReece
Esri Contributor
Thank Clive for your quick response.
BUT for your information, there is also a CswClient.properties file in this directory (which has no effect when loading into ArcMap)
"C:\Program Files (x86)\ESRI\Geoportal\CSWClients\bin"

Thanks for noting that.  Yes, the 2nd cswClient.properties file (in "C:\Program Files (x86)\ESRI\Geoportal\CSWClients\bin") is non-functional.  I recently found the same thing in the PublishClient installation and submitted a feature request to change that.  I will submit a similar feature request to eliminate the redundant CswClient.properties file too.

Clive
0 Kudos