Content Type icons

09-09-2011 08:13 AM
KristenWobbe
Occasional Contributor II
Topic:  / SEARCH FILTERS / Additional Options / CONTENT TYPE /

Once the FGDC metadata is UPGRADED to ArcGIS metadata, does the Geoportal still ???look??? in this location for the Content Type?
/Distribution Information/Resource Description/
Downloadable Data

It appears that it is looking somewhere else?

Background History:  When we implemented Geoportal v9.3.1.sp1 (in 2009), we chose to have every record display a true CONTENT TYPE by making sure the following xpath had CONTENT TYPE information in it:

/metadata/distinfo/resdesc

We decided to manually populate that field of the metadata document with an appropriate CONTENT TYPE value.  The values written in that field would be one of the following:

Live Data and Maps
Downloadable Data
Offline Data
Static Map Images
Other Documents
Applications
Geographic Services
Clearinghouses
Map Files
Geographic Activities

At the time it was determined our records conformed to the esri-fgdc-definition.xml file.  That is the file where the Geoportal checked that xpath for resource type.

Currently, in version 1.1 and v1.1.1, when we Publish a record, All the metadata gets published with the ???Offline Data??? icon instead of the ???Downloadable Data??? icon, even though the FGDC metadata XML has been populated with the following:

/Distribution Information/Resource Description/
Downloadable Data

Do you have any ideas on how I can fix this? :confused:

I have included an example showing the last two records published showing-up as "Offline Data."  The rest of the records were brought over using the migration utility tool which ARE displaying properly with a Downloadable Data icon.
...~k
0 Kudos
3 Replies
KristenWobbe
If you have �??upgraded�?? the metadata to ArcGIS metadata schema, and you use the PublishClient tool to upload the metadata, it ends up uploading the ArcGIS metadata and probably does not recognize the FGDC tags anymore.

As a test, try exporting your �??upgraded�?? metadata as FGDC and uploading that metadata export.

Clive
0 Kudos
KristenWobbe
Hi Clive:
I tried the test you suggested, �??exported my �??Upgraded�?? metadata as FGDC," by using the Export button on the description tab to export FGDC metadata. 

After publishing the Exported FGDC XML file with the Publishing Client, I still get the �??Offline icon.�?�

Where would you specify the content type in ArcGIS metadata?
Thanks for the suggestion.  Any others?
�?�~k
0 Kudos
MarkPeacey
New Contributor III
For ISO 19139 metadata the Geoportal looks at HierarchyLevel for it's icon type and Dataset has been 'assigned' the downloadable data icon.

It would be nice if there was further details on how one could re-assign an icon to a different content type, which I'm sure must be possible.

It might be worth taking a look at the fgdc-indexables.xml file in here
Tomcat 6.0\webapps\geoportal\WEB-INF\classes\gpt\metadata\fgdc - though we're running version 1.0.14 of Geoportal and by the sounds of it things have changed a bit for handling of FGDC metadata for the 1.1 and 1.1.1 versions.
0 Kudos