Interpolate a certain range of values in a raster dataset

10-24-2017 04:51 AM
MonaLütjens
New Contributor

Hello everybody,

I am encountering the following problem:

I have an ASTER raster dataset and a bathymetry dataset from a fjord landscape.

My problem is that the bathymetry dataset does not cover values higher than -60 and the ASTER raster does not cover values below 0. Therefore I have the range between 0 and -60 only entered with one single value which gives a very harsh transition. 

Is there a workflow/tool in which I can interpolate the range 0--60 with new values so I get a smooth transition?

I have been looking for quite a while and could not find any answers. Thanks in advance for any suggestions that you might have.

Best regards,

Mona

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

are two separate images? that you are trying to merge? or two separate data sets that you are trying to interpolate

0 Kudos
MonaLütjens
New Contributor

Thanks for you reply. I had two different raster datasets which I have already merged to one. Within this one raster dataset I have this harsh transition I would like to smooth. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You could always export the raster back out to points and reattempt an interpolation from there, but I suspect the results will be less than satisfactory given your description.

Alternately... again, perhaps less than satisfactory... is to run a focal mean over the combined raster to 'smooth' out the transition.  Perhaps a larger window size than the default 3x3 (perhaps 5x5, 7x7) will make it look better.

Smoothing should only be considered a 'look nice' operation in this case

Focal Statistics help topic