Extract (clip/mask) resolution?

08-12-2016 10:37 AM
RobertMueller_Jr1
New Contributor III

I am interested in using the ESRI Elevation Layers (Terrain) more specifically. I can extract out (clip/mask) this raster by polygon iteratively for further analysis - which is fantastic. I would like to track which resolution I am extracting (ie Product Name). Is this possible?

-Bob

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Are you referring to the cell size resolution?  If so, read on... if not, what do you mean by resolution?

In every tool in Arctoolbox (ie extract by mask) there is an environments tab, you need to select it then go and set your raster properties specifically and choose the cell size and snap raster which will be the raster you are trying to extract.  If you don't often the cell size chosen is 1/250th the size of the polygon or extent you are extracting

0 Kudos
RobertMueller_Jr1
New Contributor III

Dan - Thanks for the quick response!

I most interested in the product name of the best available resolution. I would like to find a way to know if the Product for the clipped raster was the 3m, 10m, or coarser at the table level (and not within the properties), as I will have thousands of clipped rasters over time and need to know when the Product resolution has changed.

This required variable is in the mosaic attributes, I just haven't figured out how to accomplish this.

Thanks!

-Bob

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I did a quick search in the online help and got too many hits using ' mosaic product name ' to narrow it down readily, but it appears it can be found in the metadata, so you will have to do the scrolling since you know exactly what you are looking for.

0 Kudos
RobertMueller_Jr1
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan for the reply.

I'm very familiar with building nationwide raster mosaics and looking up the product name in metadata. I'm afraid this still doesn't answer the question though. I'm not interested in the overall Products available within the mosaic, but specifically which imagery resolution was used at the time of the clip.  So when I run an analysis to clip the ESRI Elevation Layers (Terrain) based on polygon layer, I want each record (each clip) to grab mosaic attributes specific to raster within that field boundary (i.e. Product Name). Similar to the this question might be:  https://community.esri.com/thread/176234 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

ok.. nobody else has chimed in, so either it is too esoteric for people to know or the answer lies there-in.  I would suggest that you contact tech support because they must have someone that knows what you are doing.  Good luck

0 Kudos
RobertMueller_Jr1
New Contributor III

Agreed. If I figure this out I will report the answer back here for future inquiries.

Thanks again for your time.

-Bob

0 Kudos