Geometric Network for Electric Utilities

Jump to solution
10-10-2014 11:35 AM
GastonIzaguirre
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I am no expert in the use of geometric networks and I need help with the following problem.

I have defined a geometric network for electricity distribution network in medium and low voltage, with an own (basic) data model. The main feature classes included in the geometric network are Distribution Centers (point), Medium Voltage Feeders (line), Substations (point), Low Voltage Cables (line), Meters (point).

Each distribution center have several outputs with medium voltage feeders. Each substation has multiple outputs with low voltage cables, each with its own identifier.

I have to simulate outages in some parts of the network, identifying all affected users (meters). This part is simple with "Utility Network Analyst" tools, with which I can select affected items in each feature class.

Then, here comes the problem, I must export to a table the “connection diagram” of each meter, i.e. one record per meter affected by the outage with the following attributes: ID meter, ID low voltage cable, ID substation , medium voltage feeder ID, ID distribution center. Each attribute comes from a different feature class and I must build a table with corresponding values that indicate how each meter connects trough the network to each distribution center.

I don´t know if the standard tools of "Utility Network Analyst" can do this.

Maybe there is a tool that can help me to solve the problem.

Or I may need to develop some python script for this?

Please, any help is welcome.

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,

Gaston.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidCrawford
Esri Contributor

Hi Gaston,

There is no mechanism with the 'Utility Network Analyst' to accomplish what you are looking for.  We don't expose mechanisms to pull attributes from multiple feature classes and combine them into a single table, based on a trace result.

You would have to create a script which did a bi-directional trace.  What I think you'd be looking for might do something like this: Starting point (outage), trace to the affected meters (these will be selected, whether you use Utility Network Analyst or python, or ArcObjects), then trace upstream from each of the selected meters to find the information you're looking for (ID low voltage cable, ID substation , medium voltage feeder ID and ID distribution center) then you'd push that information using the CreateRow, Set_Value to generate the new row to insert into the “connection diagram” table.  It would require some selection set manipulations. 

But I believe there should be no limitations to the above functionality within ArcGIS Desktop.

If you want to go beyond this, and see examples or get better guidance, you would most likely have to involve support or professional services to get help.

Please let me know if any of the above didn't make sense, or anything just doesn't sound right.

Thanks,

David Crawford

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DavidCrawford
Esri Contributor

Hi Gaston,

There is no mechanism with the 'Utility Network Analyst' to accomplish what you are looking for.  We don't expose mechanisms to pull attributes from multiple feature classes and combine them into a single table, based on a trace result.

You would have to create a script which did a bi-directional trace.  What I think you'd be looking for might do something like this: Starting point (outage), trace to the affected meters (these will be selected, whether you use Utility Network Analyst or python, or ArcObjects), then trace upstream from each of the selected meters to find the information you're looking for (ID low voltage cable, ID substation , medium voltage feeder ID and ID distribution center) then you'd push that information using the CreateRow, Set_Value to generate the new row to insert into the “connection diagram” table.  It would require some selection set manipulations. 

But I believe there should be no limitations to the above functionality within ArcGIS Desktop.

If you want to go beyond this, and see examples or get better guidance, you would most likely have to involve support or professional services to get help.

Please let me know if any of the above didn't make sense, or anything just doesn't sound right.

Thanks,

David Crawford

GastonIzaguirre
New Contributor III

David, what you describe is exactly the problem I have to solve. With your recommendations I will try to write a script that performs the trace to the affected meters, and then go upstream to complete the connection diagram table of each one of the meters.

On the other hand, and changing the subject, is there any equivalent tool to "Mass Update By Tracing" that can be used in ArcGIS 10.0, which is the version that I'm using right now?

Regards,

Gaston.

0 Kudos
SSMIC3038
Occasional Contributor III

You'll have to develop something custom.

We developed a pretty robust application that does 3 phase tracing on a single line representation from substation thru to customer meter, sums the addresses and accounts and does misc reporting per gov't specs, it's used for planned or unplanned outages.

The potential is amazing if you have a solid data model (ArcFM), in a solid SDE database and some talented programmers, unfortunately that's a tall hill.

Anthonyde_la_Sota
New Contributor

Gaston, if you haven't done so already, I would recommend to review the electric data model as noted in C Martin's response.  I have implemented the ArcFM electric geodatabase design which includes a customer service model connection.  Please review the attached ArcFM Customer Service DataModel diagram to help understand the table relationships.  In addition, if you read the first 1-16 pages of the Electric Tracing Conductors Service Point Transformer document it will provide additional details how I perform a downstream electric trace from the Transformer Bank (electric geometric network) to identify the Service Point locations at the end of Secondary OH/UG conductors.  The Service Point query then relates to Service Address (locationID), which relates to CustomerInfo (utility billing accounts in our Harris CIS), then to the Service Meter assets derived from our AMI iTron Meter database.

This may seem complex but, if you are trying to perform outage management to identify potential customers that will be affected by an outage, this data model may help.  Eventhough I am using ArcFM advanced electric trace options to search by PhaseDesignation or dynamic protective device, you can peform the same type of electric trace using the ESRI Utility Network downstream/upstream trace options.

I perform downstream electric traces originating from the Circuit Breake (FeederID) located in the Substation to identify Feeder boundary distribution areas.  For best results, I like to view the distribution for individual Transformer Bank and Transformer Unit assets.

I hope this information about the ArcFM data model is useful.