Select to view content in your preferred language

What are some good data sources for electric utilities and fiber optics in the USA/Texas?

Jump to solution
07-31-2014 08:19 AM
JohnFell
Occasional Contributor III

As an assessment jurisdiction our business and personal property appraisers need information to make estimations of value for public utilities such as electricity. What are some vector data sources that you turn to for electric utility lines? Do you have to contact the municipality/public works department for that? I was curious if there was any regional or national agency that had oversight for this sort of resource that could provide it with a fairly short update cycle. Fiber optic network data would also be beneficial.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SpatialNinja
Esri Regular Contributor

John,

From the fiber side of things, most companies themselves are don't know where they have fiber, surprisingly.

The only commercial source for fiber data which I am aware of is GeoTel: www.geo-tel.com

The FCC also collects service territories from telecoms if you just need to know what services are offered in a certain area, but I am not sure how publicly available they make that data.

-Patrick

Solutions Engineer | Spatial Ninja  | GIS ️ | Telecommunications

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
SpatialNinja
Esri Regular Contributor

John,

From the fiber side of things, most companies themselves are don't know where they have fiber, surprisingly.

The only commercial source for fiber data which I am aware of is GeoTel: www.geo-tel.com

The FCC also collects service territories from telecoms if you just need to know what services are offered in a certain area, but I am not sure how publicly available they make that data.

-Patrick

Solutions Engineer | Spatial Ninja  | GIS ️ | Telecommunications
0 Kudos