React Resources

Jump to solution
06-05-2019 02:46 PM
michael_vetter
Occasional Contributor

I'm just getting into React and was looking for some good resources/tutorials for combining React and the JavaScript API. Also are there any examples of applications using React and the JavaScript API?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
3 Replies
michael_vetter
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply!

I have a follow up question. After reading some of the items you posted and other items online, it appears that you should really only use React with the ArcGIS for JavaScript API if you're building an application that isn't necessarily map-centric. Do you know if that's a correct statement?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Egge-Jan_Pollé
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Michael Vetter,

Yes, that statement is correct, I would say. You should really only use React with the ArcGIS for JavaScript API if you're building an application that isn't necessarily map-centric.

And why is that?  React is a JavaScript library for building user interfaces. But most of the UI elements you possibly want to have in your map view - like the zoom in, zoom out and home button, the layer control and the legend, the print button, etc. etc. - can be created with widgets in the ArcGIS API for JavaScript.

So, for any map-centric application I would stick with just the ArcGIS API in combination with VanillaJS (i.e. plain, regular JavaScript) as long as possible and only mix in React when really necessary.

BTW, if you think your question has been answered you could mark it as such 🙂

Cheers,

Egge-Jan