Is it possible to create an algorithm in the attributes value field of ArcMap? I want to calculate the final length from the start and end length fields.

01-04-2018 02:29 PM
SeanKartun1
New Contributor II

Please see the attached picture re the fields in question. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Are the data points? or a polyline? or do you only have the data in a table

0 Kudos
SeanKartun1
New Contributor II

Hi Dan, The fibre loop is a data point. So the AsBuiltLength represents the difference between begin and endmeasure. I want to add an algorithm to the AsBuiltLength field:  AsBuiltLength = endmeasure -beginmeasure [or vice versa]. This will save a bit of time. Cheers, Sean 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I take it you aren't using arcmap which would be a simple field calculation, so perhaps you might want to elaborate on which part of the 'Developer' forest you are in.  You can Share to a more directed space if you want (access to the top right of your question)

SeanKartun1
New Contributor II

Thanks, I'll return to the question on Monday. 

0 Kudos
SeanKartun1
New Contributor II

Hi Dan, I am using ArcMap. I'm definitely in a forest, so I can't elaborate too much. Would you have any recommendations for sharing/tags?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

And you seem to indicate that you already have the information in fields... hence, no coding needed, no application development needed, just use the field calculator

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/tables/fundamentals-of-field-calculations.htm

and Pythagorean theorem to the rescue... assuming you can calculate the difference in the x and y coordinates from the fields.  If you don't have them, then you can actually calculate the same values using the field calculator and retrieving the start and end points using arcpy in the field calculator.

MatthewDobson
Occasional Contributor

Sean, if your data is in a relational database, a trigger could calculate the AsBuiltLength on an update to the endmeasure and beginmeasure fields (obviously checking that both are populated)..