importing UTF-8 shapefiles into feature class

03-17-2016 09:40 AM
JonathanMcCloskey1
New Contributor

Hi All

I have been looking for a solution to import Arabic characters with UTF-8 encoding in my shapefiles to my GDB as feature classes, but I lose most of the text.

Does anyone have a solution?  looking everywhere

Thanks

Jon

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Jonathan,

Take a look at the following stack exchange site. There are some step by step instructions that may help get you what you need:

convert - Character encoding support in geodatabases and shapefiles - Geographic Information Systems...

0 Kudos
JonathanMcCloskey1
New Contributor

no tried it all regedit update to default UTF-8.   the problem is that the shapefile has been created from a postgis database.  Open Street Map (OSM) data and if I take into QGIS (the shapefile) I can then import it into and ESRI feature class and I have the text as normal.

I would like to update the shapefile, so that it reads the correct characters

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Jonathan

Is this the article you are referring to

21106 - Read and write shapefile and dBASE files encoded in various code pages

and was a *.cpg file created in the database ? if so, was it incorrect?  can you create a correctly encoded one in ArcMap?  They can be created in a text editor if they are missing, but I haven't access to one with an alternate encoding than utf-8

0 Kudos
JonathanMcCloskey1
New Contributor

Hi Dan,

Yes I have been using this article and haven't had any success, also created the .cpg file using a text editor and still no joy.

If I take it into a QGIS and save as shapefile with UTF-8 is works.   I can send you a shapefile that I have issues with, and see if you have a solution.  jonathan.mccloskey1@btinternet.com

Thanks

Jon

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

it would be worthwhile selecting a few rows and exporting to a shapefile (so it isn't too big) then zip and attach it to a post so other can have a look as well.  Remember to do this from the thread itself so that the attach option in the bottom right of the post appears.  If you do it from within the 'mail' section, attach isn't there

0 Kudos
JonathanMcCloskey1
New Contributor
0 Kudos
JonathanMcCloskey1
New Contributor

thanks for the suggestion

0 Kudos
HernandezAstorga
New Contributor

Hi everyone!!

I have a little big problem , I have  a file "File CPG (.cpg)",I try to open this in my ARCGIS10 but not let me "Invalid raster dataset. Failed to create raster layer". Any suggestions for open this file? My email is fhas33@gmail.com

Thank you 

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Hernandaz,

Posting this at the end of every post does not help get an answer to your question.  You should post  one (1) NEW question in the Imagery and Remote Sensing​ site and remove all your other posts.

Thanks.