How to create ortho layer from pdf files??

Jump to solution
03-21-2019 07:34 AM
DaleShearer
Occasional Contributor

Hi, I am not sure if this is the correct place to start with this question, so here goes.  We have approximately 50 year old aerial photos of our county, just the photos, no negatives.  The aerial photos were scanned into pdfs over time and we would like to build a layer out of them, not to sure to call it an ortho layer or not.

My question is: is there a tool in ArcMap that can stitch together all these pdfs into a single layer, or what is available that could do this? 

Thanks, Dale

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Dale,

Are these photos geo referenced? This will make sure the aerial imagery have coordinates associated to them. If this is completed then the next tool I would suggest is to create a mosiac data set. This will stitch the images together to create one image.

I have provided some documentation about geo referencing and how to mosaic the data.

Fundamentals of georeferencing a raster dataset—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Georeferencing a raster to a vector—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Here is a helpful walk through from UVA Library: Georeferencing - making historic maps spatial · Spatial Humanities 

Creating a mosaic dataset:

What is a mosaic dataset?—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Creating a mosaic dataset—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Please let me know if this is what you're looking for or if you have questions regarding the information I have provided.

Best,

Luba

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Dale,

Are these photos geo referenced? This will make sure the aerial imagery have coordinates associated to them. If this is completed then the next tool I would suggest is to create a mosiac data set. This will stitch the images together to create one image.

I have provided some documentation about geo referencing and how to mosaic the data.

Fundamentals of georeferencing a raster dataset—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Georeferencing a raster to a vector—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Here is a helpful walk through from UVA Library: Georeferencing - making historic maps spatial · Spatial Humanities 

Creating a mosaic dataset:

What is a mosaic dataset?—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Creating a mosaic dataset—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Please let me know if this is what you're looking for or if you have questions regarding the information I have provided.

Best,

Luba

0 Kudos
DaleShearer
Occasional Contributor

Hi Luba

Thanks for replying to my message.  To my knowledge they are not georeferenced, in saying that I am going to look at the links you have provided to better understand what I have and what I want to do with them.

I am going to mark this as correct, as I do appreciate the information.  I am sure I will be back with more questions.

Thanks, Dale

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Great, let me know if you have any questions when you have reviewed the documentation or going through the workflow.

Best,

Luba

0 Kudos
DaleShearer
Occasional Contributor

Hi Luba, 

I just want you to know that I used the link:  Georeferencing - making historic maps spatial · Spatial Humanities as it went over exactly what I wanted to do.  I am now working georeferencing our tif files.

Now on to my next issue, I am not able to merge/stitch the tif files in into a single mosaic dataset.

I have created a Mosaic Dataset and the used the "Add Rasters To Mosaic Dataset" tool.

When I run the Add Rasters tool I get a layer displayed with the Mosaic Datacset name in the TOC with Boundary, Footprint and Image.

Within this layer I have the Boundary outline of the stitched/merged rasters displayed on the map and I have the foot print of each individual raster displayed on the map.

Image is checked with RGB and the 3 bands displayed under it, but no image is displayed. 

I reckon I missed a setting, but I have re-tried all this with the same result.

Dale,

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Dale,

I'm glad to hear that the geo referencing workflow was successful. For the next step, can you right click on the mosaic dataset and click 'Build Overviews'?

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/tools/data-management-toolbox/build-overviews.htm

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/manage-data/raster-and-images/mosaic-dataset-overviews.htm

0 Kudos
DaleShearer
Occasional Contributor

Hi Luba,

Well, I am chipping away at it.  I missed the build overviews part so that is my fault.  Now to my next issue.  I did the Build Overviews and it stitched the tif images together - Great.

Now I needed to add more tifs that I have georeferenced, I pretty well botched it.  I ran Add Rasters To Mosaic Dataset with more tif raster files and it came up with the little yellow triangle and error message.  If I go to results I do not see any error message and the raster dataset that I just did the Build Overviews on is not displaying any image.

And..if I go to rerun Add Rasters To Mosaic Dataset, when I go to the folder where the rasters are located they do not show up (they are still there).

I have my Mosaic Dataset selected.

I have Raster Type as Raster Dataset.

Input Data is Workspace

This is how I had done it previously and the rasters were displayed in the folder they were located in.

Would it be faster to delete the Mosaic Dataset and build a new one?

Thanks, Dale

0 Kudos