Select to view content in your preferred language

How do I get from code maps and publish to ArcGIS Online?

Jump to solution
01-26-2024 08:40 PM
RonaldHaug
Occasional Contributor II

I am trying to learn more about making offline maps for use with Field Maps for forestry and environmental work in the field. I work for a natural resources agency in Northern California.

So I started learning how to make a vector tile base map to publish online and then an editable layer file also to publish, and then combining them into a downloadable map for the tablet. 

Now I am working on these mapping coding things and running through the tutorials which is where I find myself now.

I am not a coder, but I get the gist of what is happening here on these tutorials, to a point, but as I've told others, I play the piano, I don't build 'em, fix 'em  or tune 'em (yet).

Currently I am stuck here with six tutorial maps on codepen and I don't know how to get them back on ArcGIS Online. Can you help me publish them, please?

Here's what they look like: As you can see "Display basemap"  did not print up. "Find places" started showing hotels and restaurants, etc after George showed me how to add places to the API Key. The tutorials are a trip, and I'm liking the journey, and as before in my esri GIS journey, there are places where one gets stuck. I would appreciate your help. 

RonaldHaug_5-1706329951537.png

Here's the tutorial for "Find places in a bounding box" to show you what kind of tutorials I'm doing: MapLIbre and Codepen. https://developers.arcgis.com/maplibre-gl-js/places/find-places-in-bounds/

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
John-Foster
Esri Contributor

@RonaldHaugGreat to see you made so much progress with the developer tutorials. I'm not sure what you mean by getting these apps back on ArcGIS Online. These code samples are designed to be run from your own app or website. If you want to run these on ArcGIS Online you should try to use Instant Apps or one of the other app builders.

aps.png

For the Display Basemap, we would need to review your Codepen, but your screenshot looks like the API key used is invalid or not correctly set to scope basemap privileges, so check your API key setting on that one.

For the Places sample, you will need an API key scoped to basemaps, geocoding, and places. I ran the tutorial directly off the page you referenced and added my API key and it works without any other changes.

gl-places.png

--jf

View solution in original post

2 Replies
John-Foster
Esri Contributor

@RonaldHaugGreat to see you made so much progress with the developer tutorials. I'm not sure what you mean by getting these apps back on ArcGIS Online. These code samples are designed to be run from your own app or website. If you want to run these on ArcGIS Online you should try to use Instant Apps or one of the other app builders.

aps.png

For the Display Basemap, we would need to review your Codepen, but your screenshot looks like the API key used is invalid or not correctly set to scope basemap privileges, so check your API key setting on that one.

For the Places sample, you will need an API key scoped to basemaps, geocoding, and places. I ran the tutorial directly off the page you referenced and added my API key and it works without any other changes.

gl-places.png

--jf
RonaldHaug
Occasional Contributor II

Hi John,

Thank you so much for your kind reply. I appreciate you taking your valuable time to look into my dilemma.

I started with these tutorials because I thought this would help me in my quest to make maps for use in Field Maps. Thanks for setting me straight.

While fun enough,  it's not quite where I want to be going right now. I like to stay out of coding for the most part, though we did do a little in a Jupyter notebook for Lauren Bennett and Flora Vale's ArcGIS Pro Spatial Analysis Mooc, which by the way, was an awesome class.  Maybe as I become more proficient with the medium, I'll develop a taste for what's "behind the curtain".

Thanks, John!

0 Kudos