How could I use IQueryByLayer to get all objects outside the from layer to a certain distance?

05-16-2016 11:47 AM
ScottLaFoy
New Contributor

Right now I am working on searching a layer by layers. I have 3 different searches I need to implement.

1. Search 2 layers to see if any features on the second layer are within a feature on the first layer. For example: How many points from layer 2 are within a polygon on layer 1

2, Search 2 layers to see if any features on the second layer are within a given distance of the border of a feature on layer 1. For example: How many points from layer 2 are within 5 feet inside or out of the parameter of a polygon from layer 1

3. Search 2 layers so see if any features on the second layer are outside a feature on the first layer within a certain distance. For example: How many points from layer 2 are outside the selected polygon on layer 1  up to 20 feet.

I have the first one working, see the code below. But I cannot get the second or third queries to work. When I change the selected feature to use esriLayerSelectWithinADistance it will crash when using a polygon layer as the from layer and a point layer as the by layer. Any ideas how I could implement this?

public static ICollection<int> SelectCompletelyContains([NotNull] ILayer fromLayer,
                                                        [NotNull] IEnumerable<ILayer> byLayers,
                                                        [CanBeNull] IGeometry spatialFilterGeometry)
        {
            Validate.NotNull("fromLayer", fromLayer);
            Validate.NotNull("byLayers", byLayers);

IFeatureLayer fromFeatureLayer = (IFeatureLayer)fromLayer;

// Set up the query by layer ...
            IQueryByLayer queryByLayer = new QueryByLayerClass();
            queryByLayer.FromLayer = fromFeatureLayer;
            queryByLayer.LayerSelectionMethod = esriLayerSelectionMethod.esriLayerSelectCompletelyWithin;
            queryByLayer.UseSelectedFeatures = (null != spatialFilterGeometry);
            queryByLayer.ResultType = esriSelectionResultEnum.esriSelectionResultNew;
            ISelectionSet selectionSet = null;

HashSet<int> objectIds = new HashSet<int>();
            foreach (ILayer byLayer in byLayers)
            {                 
                IFeatureLayer byFeatureLayer = (IFeatureLayer)byLayer;

// Save the current selection set for the by feature layer, so it can be restored later ...
                IFeatureSelection byFeatureSelection = (IFeatureSelection)byFeatureLayer;
                ISelectionSet savedByFeatureSelectionSet = byFeatureSelection.SelectionSet;

// Clear any selected features prior to performing the spatial query on the by feature layer ...
                byFeatureSelection.Clear();

if (null != spatialFilterGeometry)
                {
                    // Perform a spatial query on the by feature layer to obtain features in the view extent ...
                    byFeatureSelection = ApplySpatialFilter(byFeatureLayer, spatialFilterGeometry);
                }

// Set up the query by layer to use the current by feature layer ...
                queryByLayer.ByLayer = byFeatureLayer;

ISelectionSet tempSelectionSet = queryByLayer.Select();
                if (null == selectionSet)
                {
                    // First time ...
                    selectionSet = tempSelectionSet;

queryByLayer.ResultType = esriSelectionResultEnum.esriSelectionResultAdd;
                }
                else
                {
                    ISelectionSet resultSet;
                    selectionSet.Combine(tempSelectionSet, esriSetOperation.esriSetUnion, out resultSet);
                    Marshal.ReleaseComObject(selectionSet);

selectionSet = resultSet;
                    Marshal.ReleaseComObject(tempSelectionSet);
                }

// Restore previous selection set for the by feature layer.
                if (savedByFeatureSelectionSet != null)
                {
                    byFeatureSelection.SelectionSet = savedByFeatureSelectionSet;
                    Marshal.ReleaseComObject(savedByFeatureSelectionSet);
                }
            }

IEnumIDs enumIDs = selectionSet.IDs;
            enumIDs.Reset();
            int id;
            while ((id = enumIDs.Next()) != -1)
            {
                objectIds.Add(id);

}

Marshal.ReleaseComObject(enumIDs);

Marshal.ReleaseComObject(selectionSet);