Hanging processes from ArcMap and ArcCatalog

03-01-2021 06:08 AM
LakshmiSankaran
Occasional Contributor

Not sure where to post this, so here goes.

For the past year or two (?), ArcMap and ArcCatalog, ArcMap more so, has left processes hanging in our PCs/Laptops. 

This is where you go to Task Manager after you have closed out all your sessions, and see multiple ArcMap processes still showing. 

1. This causes geodatabase locks

2. It shows as connections in ArcSDE

I read that this had to do with an extension or some connection ArcMap still thinks it is connected to. But asking our users to go to Task Manager to manually end these tasks is getting a little annoying.

Anybody face the same? Any ideas? We are on Windows 10 Enterprise & ArcGIS 10.7.1. We use the Pictometry (Connect) and the Streetview extensions in ArcMap most commonly.

This does not appear to be an issue with Pro (same commonly used extensions).

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mathanesricom
New Contributor

Seems multiple instances of ArcMap created, Have written\execute an code in Arcmap?

0 Kudos
LakshmiSankaran
Occasional Contributor

I know 2 of our users do. So interesting thought there. Thank you for that pointer. Is there a solution?

I don't execute any codes at all, yet get these...

0 Kudos
JasonLohrenz
New Contributor

We have the same issue with one of our users using ArcMap.  They end up having to completely log out to close off all the sessions.  They all do database locks and these clear up after the logout.  I'm sure ending the task would do the same thing.  This is on a fresh installation of ArcMap 10.8.1

0 Kudos
LakshmiSankaran
Occasional Contributor

FYI. I removed the Pictometry Connect Toolbar from ArcMap and have not had an issue since. Our other user with Connect continues to have hanging sessions. I have informed our Pictometry rep. to pass it on to their tech team. Do you have any 3rd party toolbars?

0 Kudos
JasonLohrenz
New Contributor

I have removed the pictometry connect toolbar extension and will see if the user notices anything different going forward.

0 Kudos