Select to view content in your preferred language

GIS Developer interview process/interview questions

06-12-2023 02:04 PM
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

I am curious if interviews for a GIS developer position are the same as "regular" developer interviews, in that there is often a skills assessment with some sort of algorithm that they ask you to solve. I know there are a lot of great examples on leetcode.com that will be good for me to practice, but I'm wondering if there is anything more GIS specific that I should be preparing for once I'm finally ready to start applying for positions. Can anyone share some info about their interview experience for GIS Developer positions?

Thanks!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
2 Replies
LongDinh
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @Katie_Clark,

The developer interviews I have completed did have some form of skills assessment but it varied from company to company. It depends on what skills the company is looking for.

As for GIS specific questions during interviews, you should expect general knowledge questions about GIS - data types, OGC standards, common libraries/modules, technology familiarity. Some companies, more so Tech companies, will have an actual interview environment for you to submit an answer through. These questions may be to test common GIS coding in SQL / Python and technology knowledge e.g. AWS/Azure. I haven't come across an algorithm question before but that may be because the company is not looking for those skills.

I hope this helps shed some light into the process. Best of luck in your applications!

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Great insight, thanks for the response!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos