Creating offline tiles (tpk) not working in ArcMap

03-09-2015 09:58 AM
BeateStollberg
New Contributor

Hi everybody,

we would like to include a local tile cache (tpk-file) into an iOS Runtime Demo App.

We tried to export such a tpk-file within ArcMap, using data from an ArcGIS.com TiledBaseMaps-Server

(http://tiledbasemaps.arcgis.com/arcgis/rest/services/World_Topo_Map/MapServer), as described here:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=eaee8760ed754019a964a6d785613a50 . We only try to download a very small area (small city), so all use and access constraints are met.

Within ArcMap (we tried version 10.3, 10.2.2, 10.2.1) we logged in with the credentials of an ArcGIS developer account and (during another attempt) with an organizational subscription account. Then we tried "File" -> "Share As" -> "Tile Package".

After "Analyzing" we get the error: "00005: Layer type is not supported".

In the help file it states that "Tiled map service layers" are supported as "Basemap layers" and that is exactly what we did.

Did anybody else try to download some tiles from the ArcGIS.com TiledBaseMaps-Server for offline use recently and did it work?

Cheers,

Beate

0 Kudos
26 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

LDanzinger-esristaff‌, anything you can share about TPK from online service at 10.5?  From my beta testing, I am not seeing it, which makes me wonder what, if any, version it is being planned for. 

0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor

Joshua-

There have been many legal and logistics-related details that have delayed this work. We are still working on a solution that will work for all parties involved, but it is not in 10.5. I apologize for the delay with this.

- Luke

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Well, at least we have an answer and can adjust our expectations accordingly.  Thanks, and good luck sorting it all out, not just for Esri's sake but for its customers as well.

LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor

Thanks, we understand the high demand for this.

In the meantime, a possible workaround is to use the Export Tiles endpoint from the REST API - ArcGIS REST API - Services and Data Types. You could use Python for this, or you could also use one of our Runtime SDKs to do this via the Export Tile Cache Task (e.g. RuntimeQtSamples/export_tiles_from_service at master · ldanzinger/RuntimeQtSamples · GitHub ).

As an example, this capability is enabled on the following map service - World_Street_Map (MapServer) 

You can enable this on your own services, or you can use the Esri provided base maps that are denoted as "for export". 

This will allow the server to fetch the underlying tiles from the service, and send them to you as a TPK. You could then add this TPK to your map in ArcMap, add any other data you like, and create a new TPK from this.

Thanks,

Luke

DarrenFergus1
New Contributor

Currently just tested ArcMap 10.4.1 and still have the reported error above, is there an update on this. It would be good to have some clarity here.

Thanks

0 Kudos
MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Everyone,

The workaround is...

Run the GP tool:     Data Management Tools >> Package >> Create Runtime Content.

This will create a compressed version of tile cache. (exactly how ArcGIS Server would)

Look like so:

Once you have this... spin up a new instance of ArcMap and add this Raster Tile Compressed layer to an mxd.  

It will look like this in Catalog / ArcMap

Save the mxd.  (dont forget to add your mapdoc descriptions -  File >> Map Document Properties...)

Then go ahead and Run the Create Map Tile Package.  

Done.

Maybe one day, ESRI will remove that TPK GP block... 

Cheers

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Does this work around still work for anyone?  I have not been able to get it to work.

Tom

0 Kudos