Select to view content in your preferred language

Arcade Workflow Advice

08-03-2022 08:45 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm not even sure where to post this as there doesn't seem to be an Arcade forum. I am greatly struggling while developing attribute rules using Arcade in the expression builder in Pro. I have to set some fairly complex constraints for user editing permissions and I was hoping to be able to use the attribute rules to do this. However, it seems like Arcade was really not designed for this heavy of a lift.

It is in the documentation that you can use custom functions in Arcade but when doing this in the expression builder I have had it successfully verify my code and let me hit okay. Then when I go to save the rule it comes up red with an Error 999999 general execution error. Then why was the code verified? There is virtually no way to debug Arcade other than to carefully read through and take a guess at what is happening. It tells you which line an error is on but the lines are not numbered. We could really use a proper code editor or something for Attribute Rules. Maybe a VS Code Arcade extension and a way to edit externally? The expression builder is only good for very basic little snippets.

I am also developing a full configuration as well as custom Add-Ins, I was hoping the attribute rules would simplify things a little bit for things like user edit permissions. If I can't get this to cooperate I will likely just forget about using attribute rules and write custom rules into my configuration.

Does anyone have a better workflow for Arcade? Right now I am just writing my code in VS Code in a JavaScript file for highlighting. Any advice would be helpful. Arcade seems like a nice idea but it seems limited for more complex attribute rules where many things need to be evaluated to determine user editing permissions. Is there any plan to support Python for attribute rules ?

0 Replies