Select to view content in your preferred language

Update Large 3D Datasets

02-28-2022 05:13 PM
SkyePaxton
New Contributor II

When creating a 3D dataset as an SLPK we want to be able to update components of the SLPK for example an SLPK may contain data for the whole of State and updating or replacing the one Local Government Area within the file without the need of recreating the entire State.

Looking for advice with dealing with large datasets in 3D.

5 Comments
DavidHoy

@Andrew--Johnson @richardvargas1
can you perhaps provide some insight into how this could be done by manipulating the indexed content of the slpk package?

Andrew--Johnson

Hi David,

Partial and full updates of scene layers are only supported on scene layers with an associated feature layer in ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise. It is not currently possible to update a portion of a slpk. 

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/layer-properties/what-is-a-scene-layer-with-as... 

Is there a specific type of data you are working with? (e.g. point cloud, 3D Object etc)?

thanks,

Andrew

DavidHoy

Hi Andrew,

thanks for jumping on - Skye is aware it is not possible OOTB to make an update to an existing .slpk and that is why this is submitted as an idea.

The organisation is managing all types of scene layers:
3D Scenes, Integrated Mesh, Point, Point Cloud & Building.

Andrew--Johnson
Status changed to: Under Consideration

This is under consideration in one form or another. We are currently working on updating point cloud scene layers but it would be managed through a service on ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise. For example you could upload a slpk and update the part of the service that needs updating. You would also be able to track updates over time and filter those updates in the service. I do not have an exact date on this but I will provide more updates as I have more information.

Daniel-Miller

We'd love to be able to produce something like the OSM 3D building layers:

https://t.co/x4LzpKR3yk

We're not looking to incorporate this into a single SLPK file. We serve out SLPK by unzipping to AWS S3 and serving out via cloudfront.

If we could maintain multiple individual SLPK files but have them publish to a single state-wide scene layer in S3 or ArcGIS Enterprise that would be ideal.