Ability to create Layer from XML/JSON like CSV Layer

01-25-2013 10:51 AM
ZahidChaudhry
Occasional Contributor III

Most of the time i work with either ArcGIS API for FLex or Javascript. Its part of my work to create graphics layer from either xml or json. Recently i saw that ESRI added a csvLayer in their API. In my opinion it will be greate if we extend that ability and add ability to create layer from Standard JSON or Standard XML. This will save people lot of work who are creating these graphics layer from dynamic xmls/json regardless of which API they are using. 

1 Comment
by Anonymous User
It's already possible to use JSON to create a layer in our ArcGIS API for Flex and ArcGIS API for JavaScript.  Essentially with properly formatted JSON you can create a graphic layer and a feature layer.

Check out this link, for technical details.
http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/8896/feature-layer-with-ondemand-mode/8912#8912

Parsing XML is more complex and sometimes requires server side processing.  We have implemented a KML layer which in essence is XML, however that said we would need more information about the XML format you wish to convert.  Is it some type of industry standard XML format?  Would you be able to share the XML format with us?