Xcel and ArcGIS

01-02-2015 06:39 PM
WalterWitt
New Contributor III

I have been working with ArcGIS9.3.1. and Xcel2010 (God knows what automated updates have been inflicted on me since original installation) on a Windows8 computer.  I have been able to import and work with Xcel spreadsheets in this setup but from time to time, the connection to selected spreadsheets is lost whereas others in the same map or project work fine.  Try to reconnect the lost spreadsheets generates the following message:

Failed to connect to database. General function failure. External table is not in the expected format.

This is very annoying and an impediment to my workflow. How can it be overcome|?

Walter Witt

0 Kudos
9 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Does something happen with the Excel files between the moment it works and when it stops working?

Do you have the Excel 2007 drivers installed? Working with Microsoft Excel in ArcGIS Desktop | ArcGIS Blog

0 Kudos
WalterWitt
New Contributor III

Xander

Thank you for your interest. No, nothing happens to the spreadsheet between good and bad Arc linkage. I have no idea what drivers are installed but I presume that the appropriate drivers were installed with Office 2010.

Actually, the problem rectified itself spontaneously – weird!

Walter

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Is it an option to update to a newer version of ArcGIS?

0 Kudos
WalterWitt
New Contributor III

Not really. I find updating software causes more trouble than cures

Walter

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

That may indeed be the case (sometimes), but with each new version you get more functionality...

0 Kudos
WalterWitt
New Contributor III

Yes but I can create and shape files quite efficiently in Arc9.3.1 whereas in Arc10 (I have used it) the method and context for creating and editing shape files is quite different. I don’t want to have to learn how to do this all over again. This change in Arc10 is not increased functionality. It is change for the sake of change,

Walter

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Let's agree to disagree on your last remark. I've seen every version of ArcGIS starting from 8.x (and Arc/Info and ArcView before that) and each version change has provided me with some extra useful functionality...

0 Kudos
MikeCusi
Occasional Contributor II

Hi

I've always had problems working with 9.3.1 and excel 2010 with the .xlsx flavor. when i stuck with .xls most of them went away.

Cheers,

Mike

0 Kudos
WalterWitt
New Contributor III

Thanks for that Mike. The problem has spontaneously rectified itself but I find more and more troubles with each new version of just about any software

Cheers

Walter

0 Kudos