windows task manager

12-05-2017 04:09 PM
DanaNolan
Occasional Contributor III

So we were required recently to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. What I did for years when an update/geoprocessing service said "Not responding" was to set my Task Manager to give me Disk read and write I/O columns (also Page Faults, but this was not as helpful). This usually let me know when a long-running job was really doing something or was truly stuck. If there was some reading/writing going on, I could almost always wait it out.

Now, what I am supposed to look at in Windows 10?  I cannot customize it and I cannot install utilities due to security constraints. I have been running a Validate Topology all day and all I see are tiny fluctuations in memory and CPU usage. How are people handling this? geoprocessing‌ #performance metrics

Also, was there not a geoprocessing space on GeoNet? Is this now something else?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Does this help?

Performance Tab > Disk 0 (C:) > Read & Write speed

0 Kudos
DanaNolan

Thanks. The problem with a general metric like that is it could be referencing all my security/network software that is constantly but not consistently doing something. I guess I could watch some geoprocessing jobs that are working OK and get some sense of a base line.

DanaNolan

Figured it out. Select the process; right click Go to Details. This was what I did before. But then you need to select any column heading on the Details screen to select or hide columns...an odd way to customize a screen.