Why is editor tracking putting the wrong user name?

Jump to solution
11-14-2013 03:26 AM
IB1
by
Occasional Contributor
I have editor tracking enabled on an SDE geodatabase.

The database has 3 users: joe, bob, and mike.

Each user is logged in as themselves and using their own version.

However when joe, bob, or mike makes an edit to a feature, it puts joe as the user who made the edits no matter what.

Even though each user is connected to the database with their own login name.

Any idea what's going on?
0 Kudos
12 Replies
IB1
by
Occasional Contributor
How about having each user create his own mxd using their own version of the layer you want to use Editor Tracking on?  This should at least solve the problem of only joe being tracked.  Make sure that the layer with joe's version is not copied into any of these new mxds because it would be carrying his credentials along.

Yeah, I've actually already fixed the problem.

I just gave everyone the original MXD from the client and then they resourced it themselves.

I guess I just wasn't aware that the MXD stored the actual connection file credentials inside. Good to know.

-------------

The only reason we are using the clients MXD is for symbology purposes. Even when I grouped all the layers and created a layer file, it still saved the connection credentials inside the layer file when I added it to a blank ArcMap.
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
The behavior that you were observing is actually correct!!

When Joe resourced the MXD, he must have used his connection (connected as user 'Joe')....the MXD stores this user information along with other connection parameters...

The correct way would be for each user to create their own connections with their username/password and then resource their individual MXDs to point to these new connections (which I guess you already figured out).

Regards,
0 Kudos
IB1
by
Occasional Contributor
The behavior that you were observing is actually correct!!

When Joe resourced the MXD, he must have used his connection (connected as user 'Joe')....the MXD stores this user information along with other connection parameters...

The correct way would be for each user to create their own connections with their username/password and then resource their individual MXDs to point to these new connections (which I guess you already figured out).

Regards,

Yeah, it all makes sense now that I know the MXD stores the connection credentials. I wasn't aware of that. I always thought ArcMap just used whatever connection properties were set in ArcCatalog on that local computer.
0 Kudos