Why does my custom locator work differently in ArcMap than ArcPro?

06-14-2019 01:24 PM
JotHall1
New Contributor III

I'm using the same single house locator, I built locally, in both Pro 2.2.4 and ArcMap 10.6.1.  And when searching addresses in Pro it works better.  My issue is I do not want to have to type out the exact address to return a match.  And in Pro I don't have to but in ArcMap I do. 

Example in Pro:

search for: 123 main

will return a match for: 123 west main ave, (State name)

In ArcMap:

search for: 123 main

won't return a match.

I would need to type out the whole address: 123 west main ave, (State name)

to get a match.

Question:

Is there setting or property of some sort I need to adjust to get the locator to function more leniently in ArcMap? Like it does in Pro?

Again, using the exact same locator in both. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

1. If you use the locator created in Pro in the Find tool in ArcMap do you get the same or different behavior? I'm trying to narrow down if the issue is the locator or the application.

2. Are the properties exactly the same for the two locators

3. Are you able to provide the locators as locator packages for review with a sample address?

0 Kudos
JotHall1
New Contributor III

No, it still does not work the way I'd like while using the find tool. The only difference I can tell from previous locator tools we've created and used and what we're trying to build now is the input field description. 

Single Line Input: for old working locator

compared to:

Full Address Input: does not work the way I'd like

Is this the issue? do I need my locator to accept single line input and not full address? if so, how do I do that.

Again. Also, if I use in ArcPro it works. Just not in ArcMap. But, I need it to work in ArcMap.

All properties the same.

If you don't think the input description is part of the issue, I can look into sharing the locator and let you review further.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Jot:

Based on the screenshots provided it looks like you have two different locators that are being used in the Find tool in ArcMap, one of them being a Composite locator (Single Line Input) and the other the Single House locator (Full Address). You would at a minimum need to provide a screen shot of the locator properties of the two locators you've displayed in the screenshots of the Find tool. As well as the Geocoding Options setting in the locator properties.

0 Kudos