WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere) WKID 102100

07-21-2010 06:59 PM
RichardPruitt
New Contributor II
Would anyone have a clue as to why it is that when I publish a map with the WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere) the WKID is defined as 3857. In the help docs it states that it should be 102100 but I can never get my map services to show up that way.

Further looking at the WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere) prj file shows it is defined as 3857, so how does any one else get 102100 to show in the REST page? Even if I manually change the code in the prj I cannot get it to say 102100. Does anyone else have this issue?

Running AGS 10 ADV ENT.
Tags (2)
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Richard,
  Have you tried using just Web Mercator, and not the (Aux Sphere) projection?

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Would anyone have a clue as to why it is that when I publish a map with the WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere) the WKID is defined as 3857. In the help docs it states that it should be 102100 but I can never get my map services to show up that way.

Further looking at the WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere) prj file shows it is defined as 3857, so how does any one else get 102100 to show in the REST page? Even if I manually change the code in the prj I cannot get it to say 102100. Does anyone else have this issue?

Running AGS 10 ADV ENT.

The WKID was changed at version 10 to 3857. This is because this version of "web Mercator" closely aligns with the EPSG dataset's entry (http://www.epsg.org). Doc's out-of-date, I'll ask that it be updated.

The multiple codes are due to release timings:

A. 102113 (because that was the only way we could emulate the web services' definition)
B. 102100 added next, using a differently built, but *completely* equivalent, definition
C. EPSG then added 3857 (and deprecated their earlier 3587 entry which was closer to how 102113 was defined)
D. We changed the ESRI 102100 code to EPSG 3857.

Melita
DonCaviness
New Contributor III
Since version 10 has changed the wkid to 3857, how will services using the new wkid interact with Esri basemaps that have a wkid of 102100?
StephenLuzny
New Contributor
Are there plans to add support for EPSG 3857 to version 9.3.1, perhaps as an alias to 102100, or is the move to version 10 going to be the only way to have support for EPSG 3857?
0 Kudos
NicholasJackson1
New Contributor II
I have installed ArcGIS Server 10 and have successfully published my web service in Web Mercator Aux Sphere (wkid 3857), and I can view this service in the REST directory.  However, when I try to pull the service into my FlexView, it will not show up over the Esri basemap.  Does anyone know how I can fix this without?

NA Jackson
GIS Admin
0 Kudos
LakshmananVenkatesan
Occasional Contributor II
Hi Jackson,

We are facing the same issue but in sliverlight API. Have you got any solution. Please update if any

Thanks
SR

I have installed ArcGIS Server 10 and have successfully published my web service in Web Mercator Aux Sphere (wkid 3857), and I can view this service in the REST directory.  However, when I try to pull the service into my FlexView, it will not show up over the Esri basemap.  Does anyone know how I can fix this without?

NA Jackson
GIS Admin
0 Kudos
CordulaGöke
Occasional Contributor
to those with the not showing services:
In course of finding a problem in my service/application setup,as a side effect I managed to remove my map from my application. I work with javascript (a html5 sample) and removed the information on initial extent and wkid. If I remember correctly this is explicitly set in the flexViewer, but maybe this helps anyway. For me it is just interesting that the javascript viewer for viewing REST services does not set a wkid and there my service shows.
Cordula
0 Kudos