Warning: Could not edit the data in the folder or database you selected

04-30-2014 11:39 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Enterprise geodatabase with versioned data
Oracle 11g, ArcSDE 10.0 sp4 ArcGIS Desktop 10.2

Direct connect as user with edit permissions to data, to a version the user owns. Can view data. There are logfile tables in the user's schema (checked with SQL Developer.) 
Nothing else is open on client computer.
No other gis users are connected to this geodatabase (checked with sdemon)
Client computer has been restarted.
The feature dataset, a feature class, and several tables are part of a replica between default on this geodatabase and a version on another geodatabase.

In map with all replicated data, when user tries to start editing a line feature class that is in the feature dataset with a topology, get error:
"Warning: Could not edit the data in the folder or database you selected
The layer or table is in use, being edited, or otherwise unavailable for editing.
Solution: Make sure no other users are accessing or editing the data. If you have other ArcGIS applications, open, close them and try to edit the data again."

In brand new map with same user, and version, with only the one feature dataset, get this error:

"Warning: Can't edit versioned workspace, check that you have proper permissions on the version
You are attempting to edit data in an ArcSDE geodatabase but lack permissions to do so.
Solution: Contact your ArcSDE administrator to ensure that you have permissions to edit the data."

The data owner user can start an edit session on the same data, via the same (public) version, with no error message (no actual edits were done, however.)

What to look at next? Generally we do not like to do edits as the data owner, or to public versions.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor

Client computer has been restarted.
The feature dataset, a feature class, and several tables are part of a replica between default on this geodatabase and a version on another geodatabase.

Is this a one-way or two-way replica?  If one-way, I assume your are attempting to edit data in the parent replica and NOT the child.  If two-way, have all edits been synchronized and subsequently acknowledged between the two replicas?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Is this a one-way or two-way replica?  If one-way, I assume your are attempting to edit data in the parent replica and NOT the child.  If two-way, have all edits been synchronized and subsequently acknowledged between the two replicas?

The replica is two-way. It was created by loading the data via xml workspace exports (from default of a third geodatabase) to each of two enterprise geodatabases, then creating the replica by registering the data. The database being edited is the child. There are no previous edits to the versions on either end of the replica for these data. However, the data are replacements; previous data of same structure were deleted and replaced.
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
So what I'm gathering here is that you exported an XML workspace with data from GDB 3, imported that XML workspace into GDB 1 and into GDB 2, then used the Register as Existing Replica option via the distributed geodatabase toolbar in ArcMap.  Is that right?  If so, when you did the replica registration, what did you register each GDB with?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
So what I'm gathering here is that you exported an XML workspace with data from GDB 3, imported that XML workspace into GDB 1 and into GDB 2, then used the Register as Existing Replica option via the distributed geodatabase toolbar in ArcMap.  Is that right?  If so, when you did the replica registration, what did you register each GDB with?

Yes on workflow description; actually, nine xml workspaces were used for the import, one for each geodatabase object (one feature dataset, one standalone feature class, seven tables.)

The replica registers the data between geodatabases 1 and 2: one feature dataset containing a line feature class and a topology; one feature class; and seven tables. The two geodatabases will receive edits from different sources, and the default version of geodatabase 1 will be our "truth" data. I am attempting to edit geodatabase 2 with a user that is not part of the replica on either end, so I can then post the data to default on geodatabase2 and test the replica/synchronize.

The error message specifies the line feature class that is part of the feature dataset.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Well, after pounding away some more, I was able to make edits. It started working after I granted the user edit permissions to the feature dataset explicitly, which it already had via a role. I had tried this before, not sure why it worked this time.
0 Kudos
PaulLohr
Occasional Contributor III

Hello Edith,

I had the same message appear. This is with Desktop 10.2.2, ArcSDE 10.2.2, and SQL Server 2008 R2. The feature class I was attempting to edit had different permissions than the feature dataset. Once I set the correct permissions at the feature dataset level, the error message no longer appeared.

The link below is to a help page that states 'All feature classes in a feature dataset must have the same user privileges.' The privileges were not the same - that was the problem.

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

The Change Privileges dialog allows me to attempt an altering of the privileges of a feature class even though it is within a feature dataset. As mentioned above, this is not supported. Since an error is not returned by the Change Privileges dialog and the feature class can be added to the dialog, I begin to think that the practice is acceptable. Why would the program go along with changing privileges of a feature class within a feature dataset if the idea is not supported? There may be a reason that I haven't learned of.

Paul Lohr

0 Kudos