Viewing/Using .tar Extension Downloads in ArcMap/ArcPro

Jump to solution
03-18-2021 08:45 PM
FFAnews_laneco
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am trying to use datasets of population data and river polygons with a
 -.tar extension. My operating system is Windows 10. I am fairly familiar with ArcGIS Pro and ArcMap, but you could probably still say I am a newbie. I am at a loss on how to access a ArcInfo Workstation/Workspace. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I am reaching out to the data creators as well, but it was published some years ago so I am not sure I will receive a reply.

Thank you,

Sarah

One of the datasets I am trying to access:
http://www.fsl.orst.edu/pnwerc/wrb/access.html

The website describes the information I am trying to use as follows:
http://www.fsl.orst.edu/pnwerc/wrb/access.html

"The information available for downloading includes an ArcInfo workspace containing the map in grid representation, a TIFF image of the grid using the same color definitions employed in the printed map, and an ArcInfo graphics file of the plotted map. The colormap file and shadeset are also available in a separate file.

"Files with a .zip name extension have been encoded using the zip program, while files with a .tar name extensions are tar archives. All of these files were prepared on a unix computer. We deliver the map via a workspace, because the export file is over 750 MB in size. Most but not all users of ArcInfo and ArcView on NT and Windows machines have been able to use the workspaces directly... When transferring files, binary format is required."

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As Dan mentioned, you may extract the files from .tar/.zip/.gz to a folder using applications like 7-Zip, PKZIP or WinRAR.

*Note: Don't use WinZip. As per Importing an ArcInfo interchange file (E00) 

"If you use WinZIP  to extract a zipped .e00 file, it can potentially corrupt the data."

Since the data were created using ArcInfo Workstation, the extracted data will be in .e00 format. You may convert the data from .e00 to corresponding datasets, using the following tool in ArcMap.

Import from Interchange File

Tips:

• The input E00 file cannot be placed in a directory that has a space in the name or a space anywhere in the path to the directory.
  • The output coverage or grid cannot be placed in a directory that has a space in the name or a space anywhere in the path to the directory.
  • The output coverage or grid name cannot be more than 13 characters long.
  • The output coverage or grid name cannot contain special characters; for example, #, @, or %. Underscores are permitted.

Think Location

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

7-Zip (7-zip.org)

will open tar files for windows

... sort of retired...
FFAnews_laneco
New Contributor II

Success! Thank you, DanPatterson. I downloaded 7-Zip, and with Jayanta_Poddar's additional instruction assistance, it was smooth sailing!

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As Dan mentioned, you may extract the files from .tar/.zip/.gz to a folder using applications like 7-Zip, PKZIP or WinRAR.

*Note: Don't use WinZip. As per Importing an ArcInfo interchange file (E00) 

"If you use WinZIP  to extract a zipped .e00 file, it can potentially corrupt the data."

Since the data were created using ArcInfo Workstation, the extracted data will be in .e00 format. You may convert the data from .e00 to corresponding datasets, using the following tool in ArcMap.

Import from Interchange File

Tips:

• The input E00 file cannot be placed in a directory that has a space in the name or a space anywhere in the path to the directory.
  • The output coverage or grid cannot be placed in a directory that has a space in the name or a space anywhere in the path to the directory.
  • The output coverage or grid name cannot be more than 13 characters long.
  • The output coverage or grid name cannot contain special characters; for example, #, @, or %. Underscores are permitted.

Think Location
FFAnews_laneco
New Contributor II

Success! Thank you for helping me learn a new skill! 

0 Kudos