Select to view content in your preferred language

Using SDEView to Create Dynamic Feature Class via Geocoding

08-04-2010 10:52 AM
BryanDickerson
New Contributor
I have a question as to whether this is possible.  I have a table (A) in one Oracle database (1) that is non-geospatial data (no geodatabase) but contains street addresses.  This table is constantly being updated with new records. 

I have a geodatabase in another Oracle database (2) running ArcSDE 9.3 SP1. 

I want to create an SDE view (sdetable -o create_view) to table A resulting in sdeview B which is then geocoded against my address locators within an ArcMap document and used to create a dynamic feature class in the geodatabase (Oracle database 2).  In theory as new records are added to table A, they should appear in view B and then be dynamically geocoded and display on my map (assuming a valid street address).

I can create the dblink between the 2 databases just fine and, using standard SQL tools, query records from table A.  I can successfully create and register the sdeview using the sde command line tools.  I can successfully geocode to a dynamic feature class the records from view B.  However, it doesn't appear to be acting "dynamic".  I add a new record in table A in database 1, it appears in the sdeview in database 2 but, even though it is a valid and "geocodable" address it does not appear in my point dynamic feature class.

Suggestions or thoughts?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
CarlAlexander
New Contributor III
Did you ever find a solution to this problem?
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Geocoding results are not dynamic since the output is a feature class.  The only type of outputs that are dynamic in this matter are event layers.  You will need to re-geocode the addresses after the updates have been applied and overwrite the feature class.  I would recommend running a script to do this at a given time(s) during the day.
0 Kudos
CarlAlexander
New Contributor III
There is the option to do a dynamic geocode in SDE.  This works great when you update the table in ArcMap.  But updating tables in ArcMap is not part of our workflow.
0 Kudos
ToddSmith
New Contributor II
Bryan or Carl, did you ever find a solution to this problem?  I am trying to do something similar in SQL Server.
Thanks,
Todd
0 Kudos