Select to view content in your preferred language

Can GIS connect to a snapshot sde database ?

02-20-2012 07:26 AM
DeminHu
New Contributor
Hi,

I have an  ArcSDE database ( ArcSDE 10 and SQL server 2008 enterprise), I created a snapshot db on the SDE database. I could connect to the snapshot db  with SQL Connections and do queries, I could successfully create a SDE Service on the snapshot db, but  I could not make neither SDE  nor  direct connetions through ArcCatolog.

Is it possible to use the sanpshot db via ESRI ArcSDE or Direct Connect ?

Thanks for help.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
When I look at the documentation, it says that snapshot databases are read-only --
ArcGIS requires read-write access for connections, locks, and selection sets.

The doc doesn't say, but it seems likely that the snaphot will have a different name --
Changing the database name invalidates all the triggers, which prevents ArcSDE
from functioning.

Just on these, I'd have to conclude: No, it's not possible.

- V
0 Kudos
DeminHu
New Contributor
I agree with your reply. 

Thank you so much.
0 Kudos
BrentPierce
Esri Contributor
Demin,

You should be able to use the Query Layers functionality in 10.0 to connect to the read only SQL Server database and work with objects in that database as layers in ArcMap.

http://blogs.esri.com/dev/blogs/geodatabase/archive/2010/04/14/query-layers-_4000_-arcgis-10.aspx

Hope this helps,
-Brent
0 Kudos
DeminHu
New Contributor
I tried to add the layers from the sanpshot of sde database to ArcMap using Query Layer, but spatial references properties are disabled on my ArcMap, the query layer show as table, not as a layer.

I didn't install MS SQL Spatial Extension. I searched the ESRI help online, I found the following :

If you are creating query layers that include a spatial column, you must connect to a SQL Server 2008 (or higher) database and create query layers on tables that contain Microsoft Geometry and Geography columns.

Besdies ArcSDE on the top of SQL server, MS SQL spatial extension is required or not? if it is required, probably it still not solve my problem.

Thank you so much for the link. It is always good to learn some new things.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Query Layers work with native geometry types, so the layers would have to use
GEOMETRY or GEOGRAPHY storage to be accessible.

- V
0 Kudos