Select to view content in your preferred language

Using Oracle EZCONNECT with ArcGIS

09-13-2010 07:18 AM
RicaSaporta
New Contributor III
Hello,
i was wandering if it is posisble to use Oracle's EZCONNECT to format a connection to an SDE geodatabase.
if possible i would be trying to implement this in ArcGIS 10 and Oracle 11g running on a Windows environment

any insight would be appreciated
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ForrestJones
Esri Contributor
Hi Rica,

Yes, it is possible to supply the ezconnect string in the arcgis connection properties. For example the value in the arccatalog window connection properties Service text box would be:

sde:oracle11g:/;LOCAL=<EZCONNECT STRING>

example:

sde:oracle11g:/;LOCAL=(DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = myserver)(PORT = 1521))) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = ORCL)))

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
RicaSaporta
New Contributor III
hi FJ
thank you for the post
i tried the format you suggested of the Service text box but kept getting an Oracle 12514 ("TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor"). Any suggestions on how i can best trouble shoot this?
BTW, we are using Oracle 10g R2, would that inhibit us from using EZCONNECT?

thank you again
Rica
0 Kudos
ForrestJones
Esri Contributor
Hi Rica,

No problem. Hmm. It sounds like something might be incorrect with the service name in the ezconnect string...I would double-check to make sure everything there is correct. Another thing to double-check is that the colons and semi-colon are in the correct place in the ArcGIS service text box.

Also, is there any information in the oracle listener.log?

For your other question, you can use oracle10g client with the ezconnect string too, just use sde:oracle10g instead of oracle11g in the syntax.
0 Kudos