Using Editor Tracking in an Enterprise Geodatabase

Jump to solution
06-06-2017 12:29 PM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

ArcGIS Server 10.3, SqlServer 2012 back end.

In the past I've used a couple of SQL triggers to update a couple of fields upon editing.  However, I'm embarking on new project and thought I might use Editor Tracking instead.

I have an editor field which in the past used the SQL Server user as the update value.  Does Editor Tracking use the SQL User as well?  I've only used ET on one other project and that was with a FileGDB, and it grabbed my domain/login as I recall.

With respect to the Date Field, in the past my SQL trigger formatted it for mm/dd/yyyy and I'd like to keep it that way.  Again, it seems in the previous File GDB project, the database time included hours, minutes and seconds, which I don't need or want.  Will Editor Tracking allow for the format I desire?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Joe,

Editor Tracking will use the user that is connected to the Enterprise Geodatabase.  If you are using Database Authentication, then it will record this user.  If you are connected using Windows Authentication it will use the user logged onto Windows.

As for the Date/Time, it will be recorded as mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss.  Unfortunately, you will not be able to format this field to not include the hh:mm:ss.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Joe,

Editor Tracking will use the user that is connected to the Enterprise Geodatabase.  If you are using Database Authentication, then it will record this user.  If you are connected using Windows Authentication it will use the user logged onto Windows.

As for the Date/Time, it will be recorded as mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss.  Unfortunately, you will not be able to format this field to not include the hh:mm:ss.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Jake!

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos