Users created from Oracle SQL Developer instead of ArcMap

03-26-2014 05:45 AM
giuseppeprocino
New Contributor II
Hi everyone,

I am using an Enterprise Geodatabase implemented under sde10.1 ((SDO_GEOMETRY) + Oracle11gR2 (linux5 -up.7).

I have created my users ADAM (without privilege and role) using Oracle SQL Developer  instead of using the Esri ArcGIS tool 'Create Database User'.

I have granted GEOEDITOR role at ADAM user, using Oracle SQL Developer. Geoeditor role has only Session privileges.

All feature class of geodatabase has been granted to "Geoeditor" role  with view,select, insert, delete privileges.

Now, ADAM is not able to find any feature class within geodatabase.

What am I missing here?

Technical references:
- ArcGIS 10.1 sp1 + qi patch
- ArcSDE 10.1 sp1 (SDO_GEOMETRY) + qi patch on ORACLE

Please help me!

I have another unsolved ploblem on data too (http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/104968-strange-view-of-sde-feature-within-arcgis-desktop?p=374306#p...)

Thank you
0 Kudos
8 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
These Forums were never intended to be a replacement for Tech Support.  Both of
these issues seem likely to require very detailed review of database contents,
which is likely why no one has responded here.  I recommend you contact your
Tech Support resource.

- V
0 Kudos
giuseppeprocino
New Contributor II
Hi Vice,
I agree but with an open discussion everyone are enable to solve same problem in a next time.

I have understood and solved the problem.

The user (owner of feature classes) that I have used to grant "Geoeditor" role to ADAM could not see correctly roles and users within privileges window within ArcMAP. In privileges windows within ArcMAP all users and roles was tagged as user (ex. Geoeditor role appear as user). It's probably a bug.

The user (owner of feature classes) was created with ORACLE SQL DEVELOPER like ADAM. At user (owner of feature classes) I had assigned CREATE SESSION, CREATE SEQUENCE, CREATE TRIGGER, CREATE VIEW, CREATE TABLE.

I solved this problem by recreating the user (owner of feature classes) with Esri ArcGIS tool 'Create Database User'.

I think that create a user with "Create Database User" tool and create the same user with ORACLE SQL DEVELOPER is different for ArcGIS Desktop.

Regards
Giuseppe P.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
I think that create a user with "Create Database User" tool and create the
same user with ORACLE SQL DEVELOPER is different for ArcGIS Desktop.

No, they aren't.  Only the database can create users.  The only possible difference
is that the ArcGIS tool grants the required permissions (which are documented,
and should be applied manually when not using the tool).  The tool is a convenience,
but it certainly isn't required for user creation.

- V
giuseppeprocino
New Contributor II
No, they aren't.  Only the database can create users.  The only possible difference
is that the ArcGIS tool grants the required permissions (which are documented,
and should be applied manually when not using the tool).  The tool is a convenience,
but it certainly isn't required for user creation.

- V

Hi Vice,
thank you very much for your answer.
I know very well the documentation. I have fifteen years of experience on different ESRI SW but ArcSDE (the best software for multiuser and versioning; I'm beginner with SDE + oracle11gr2 on linux5.7 + SDO_Geometry storage + agd11.1 direct connect architecture because  I worked always with other architecture like Window + SDE + ST_Geometry+ oracle/postgresql +  SDE as application server) is a bit complex to manage.

Here you are the privileges for any kind of user:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/User_privileges_for_geodatabases_in_Oracle...

Can you post an sql code block (or a guide) for create a user with creator privileges by Oracle SQL Developer?

Probably my procedure is wrong.

Regards
Giuseppe P.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
I've never had an "owner" user fail to create data in Oracle, and I've been
an Oracle DBA for 25+ years.  Those years have ingrained bad habits, however,
so I think it best that you provide the creation script you used for review by
those who follow the documentation.

- V
giuseppeprocino
New Contributor II
I've never had an "owner" user fail to create data in Oracle, and I've been
an Oracle DBA for 25+ years.  Those years have ingrained bad habits, however,
so I think it best that you provide the creation script you used for review by
those who follow the documentation.

- V

Hi Vince,
the problem isn't that the owner user (datacreator A) (created by step that you can see within a doc attachments) can't load dataset. He can load feature class without problem.

The problem is that this owner user (datacreator A) don't see the same list of users/roles that see the datacreator user B (The owner user created by "Create Database User" within Toolbox).

Regards
Giuseppe
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
If you want folks to read your script, it should be in a CODE block, not as a
Word attachment (I won't open Word docs, even when I'm on a device that
would permit it).

- V
giuseppeprocino
New Contributor II
If you want folks to read your script, it should be in a CODE block, not as a
Word attachment (I won't open Word docs, even when I'm on a device that
would permit it).

- V

Hi Vice,
I have not a script because I have not created the user through SLQ Script but with a manual procedure. In my previous word doc there was screenshot step by step of my procedure. If you want, you can see the same procedure with 1.PNG, 2.PNG, 3.PNG, 4.PNG images.

1.png
[ATTACH=CONFIG]32625[/ATTACH]
2.png
[ATTACH=CONFIG]32626[/ATTACH]
3.png
[ATTACH=CONFIG]32627[/ATTACH]
4.png
[ATTACH=CONFIG]32628[/ATTACH]

Thanks a lot
Giuseppe P.
0 Kudos