Select to view content in your preferred language

Uploading Raster data(img format) into geodatabase is very slow

03-18-2012 10:41 PM
karthiklakshmi
Emerging Contributor
Hi everybody I am new to ArcSDE geodatabase.In our company we have Arcsde9.2v and its backend database is oracle10g. I am uploading  raster data into geodatabase using Arc Catalog , but this process is very slow it is taking huge amount of time to upload.. Can any one help me?? how to speed up this process?Is there any performance issue?

Thanks and Regards in advance!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Karthik,

Are you uploading one IMG or are you mosaicking multiple IMGs into a single raster dataset within the SDE geodatabase?
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
There's a huge number of variables that go into raster loading performance.  Some of them
are under your control (like the Oracle tuning and compression options) some not (like the
performance of the 9.2 raster processing libraries).  There have been three significant changes
with recent (10.x) ArcGIS products: Incorporation of the GDAL raster libraries, the use of
ArcGIS Server caches, and the use 9.2 Image Server technology into the ArcGIS product
base.  Each of these weakened the use of rasters within database; taken together, they
have effectively eliminated the need to load raster data into databases at all.  While you
probably have some room for database tuning (which would require starting the load over
again), I can't help but wonder if you should reevaluate the long-term effectiveness of
your task.

- V
0 Kudos
karthiklakshmi
Emerging Contributor
There's a huge number of variables that go into raster loading performance.  Some of them
are under your control (like the Oracle tuning and compression options) some not (like the
performance of the 9.2 raster processing libraries).  There have been three significant changes
with recent (10.x) ArcGIS products: Incorporation of the GDAL raster libraries, the use of
ArcGIS Server caches, and the use 9.2 Image Server technology into the ArcGIS product
base.  Each of these weakened the use of rasters within database; taken together, they
have effectively eliminated the need to load raster data into databases at all.  While you
probably have some room for database tuning (which would require starting the load over
again), I can't help but wonder if you should reevaluate the long-term effectiveness of
your task.

- V

But previously before 2-3months the taken for uploading 10 rasters is of 10mins but now it is taking almost 40mins..  not able to understand ..and i have tuned my oracle database too.. set the required space respectively for all the components and parameters!!

Am uploading multiple images at a time(not mosaicking).... even though for one single image  of 100MB it is taking 4mins.. previously it is very less
0 Kudos
karthiklakshmi
Emerging Contributor
Hi Karthik,

Are you uploading one IMG or are you mosaicking multiple IMGs into a single raster dataset within the SDE geodatabase?

I am not mosaicking multiple images ....But just uploading multiple images thats it!! But It is taking so much of time for uploading
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Do you have an adequate amount of free space within your tablespace?  If your tablespace needs to allocate more space for each raster load, this will slow down the process.

Also, is there any type of compression applied to the raster?  You can check this by right-clicking on the raster > Properties.  Here you can also check the 'Uncompressed Size'.  Is this also 100 MB?
0 Kudos
karthiklakshmi
Emerging Contributor
Do you have an adequate amount of free space within your tablespace?  If your tablespace needs to allocate more space for each raster load, this will slow down the process.

Also, is there any type of compression applied to the raster?  You can check this by right-clicking on the raster > Properties.  Here you can also check the 'Uncompressed Size'.  Is this also 100 MB?

Yes i do have an adequate amount of 20Gb  free space out of 30gb in tablespace. And the raster is not compressed (compress contents to disk space is left unchecked) ,the uncompressed size is itself 100MB ,54Mb,60 Mb.. like this!!
0 Kudos