Upgrading ArcSDE from 10.0 to 10.1. Do I have to uninstall 10.0 ArcSDE?

Jump to solution
02-21-2014 09:04 AM
JanieGoddard
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,
I am in the process of upgrading my ArcSDE Enterprise Geodatabases in SQL Enterprise 2008R2 from 10.0 to 10.1. (I have already installed ArcGIS Server 10.1, Web Adaptor 10.1, and Desktop 10.1. They are working great.)

It appears that I take backups first.
Then upgrade each Geodatabase in Catalog 10.1.
Will that be all I have to do? Or do I really have to uninstall ArcSDE 10.0 and install ArcSDE 10.1?
Thanks,
Janie
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
We should be clear here, that you're using 10.1 SP1 to do the upgrade -- there's
no reason to upgrade twice, and every reason to be using SP1.

Application server installation is a personal choice.  I still do it, but I write 'C' applications
for a living, and I don't do it at customer sites unless they insist.

All enterprise geodatabase connections support all ArcGIS functionality.  It's the same
code, no matter where it operates.

- V

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
Janie,

No, you do not need to uninstall ArcSDE 10.0 to upgrade the existing sde 10.0 gdb to 10.1. As the upgrade is done using ArcGIS Desktop, the ArcSDE s/w plays no role in the upgrade here.

However, I would suggest that once all the sde GDBs are upgraded to 10.1, you should install ArcSDE 10.1 as well. It helps to have all the softwares at the same version.

Regards,
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Yes, you should uninstall the 10.0 application server binaries (since they will not work once the geodatabase is upgraded). The question as to whether to bother installing the 10.1 service depends on how you're connecting (and is covered in nauseating detail elsewhere in this forum). -V
0 Kudos
NidhinKarthikeyan
0 Kudos
JanieGoddard
Preparing to upgrade a geodatabase in SQL Server - ArcSDE 10.1

Hi,
  According to the above link I stop the SDE service for all the geodatabases I am updating. Then I uninstall ArcSDE release 10.0 deleting the services for all gdbs when it prompts me. Then I do the upgrade to each of the geodatabases. Next I install the ArcSDE 10.1, if we are using sde connections. See Below what I copied from the link:

10.If you are using an ArcSDE service, do the following:
a. Stop the ArcSDE service using the Windows Services interface.
b.If you are upgrading to a new, full release of the ArcSDE application server (such as from 9.3.1 or 10 to 10.1), uninstall the old release of ArcSDE, and delete the old service when prompted to do so.

Note:
c.Obtain the ArcSDE Application Server installation from the Esri Customer Care portal.

The geodatabase is now ready to be upgraded. You can use the Upgrade Geodatabase tool in ArcGIS for Desktop or a Python script run on the ArcGIS client computer.

If you use an ArcSDE service for connections, install the ArcSDE application server after you upgrade your geodatabase.

My question is the ArcSDE install talks about creating OR enabling Enterprise Geodatabase. These are existing 10.0 SQL 2008 R2 SDE Enterprise Geodatabases with lots of data. Do I enable them? I don't want to wipe out any tables with the userid id and the roles. Is this information just for new installs and NOT upgrades? What do you think?
Thanks,
Janie
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Create or Enable are only required for new installs.  An upgrade requires use of 
UpgradeGDB_management (Python) or the UI.

- V
0 Kudos
JanieGoddard
Hi Vince,
    Thanks for answering.
So I stop my ArcSDE Services. I uninstall 10.0 ArcSDE. I upgrade the geodatabases using my ArcCatalog 10.1 user interface. Then I install ArcSDE 10.1. I will need to recreate the ArcSDE service for each gdb. Then just create my new SDE connections? Correct? If we want to use SDE connections.
Thanks,
Janie
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Yes, if you're still using application server ports (which you really shouldn't, especially for
Desktop connections), then you would need to install the application server and create
services on different ports for each database.

You need to use a special tool to create connection files based on application server
connection ports (ArcToolbox/Data Management Tools/Workspace).

- V
0 Kudos
JanieGoddard
Vince,
   So I shouldn't install ArcSDE 10.1. I just make direct connections to my gbd from now on. That would support Flexviewer edit widget doing its updates? It also supports multiple desktop users doing updates to the same file at the same time in ArcMap?
Thanks,
Janie
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
We should be clear here, that you're using 10.1 SP1 to do the upgrade -- there's
no reason to upgrade twice, and every reason to be using SP1.

Application server installation is a personal choice.  I still do it, but I write 'C' applications
for a living, and I don't do it at customer sites unless they insist.

All enterprise geodatabase connections support all ArcGIS functionality.  It's the same
code, no matter where it operates.

- V
0 Kudos