Updating Versioned Views Via SQL Management Studio Fails

Jump to solution
01-26-2023 02:14 PM
daniel__j
New Contributor II

I am trying to update a single column of a versioned view using Sql. We are using a Microsoft SQL Server geodatabase. The production Geodatabase version is 10.0. The development Geodatabase version is 10.3.1.

The update query would look something like this:

UPDATE [Meter_evw] SET Zone_name = 'example' WHERE ObjectId = 1;

Running this query results in the following error:

Could not find stored procedure '<DatabaseName>.<Schema>.SDE_get_globals'.

If I run the same query on our development geodatabase (basically an exact copy, however it's version is 10.3.1) I have no issues, everything works as expected.

I know for a fact that I used ArcMap 10.3.1 to register the Meter FeatureClass (on the production Geodatabase) in question as versioned.

My suspicion is that the mismatch between the ArcMap version and the Geodatabase version when the versioned views were created has caused this issue. Is that correct? If so what is the best way to fix it?

I have two ideas:

- Upgrade the production database to 10.3.1
- Use ArcMap 10.3.1 to remove the versioned views, and use ArcMap 10.0 to add the versioned views back.

Are there better options and is this even the correct direction?

Thanks,

Daniel

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Upgrading is usually a quick process on SQL Server. Here is the doc for going to 10.8.x: https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/gdbs-in-sql-server/upgrade-geodatabase-sqlse...

The biggest issue may be that you need to upgrade SQL Server to a supported release also.

Part of the issue would be that your ArcMap / Server are still on an unsupported version. Here is a compatibility doc: https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/geodatabases/client-geodatabase-compatibilit...

Hard to say 100% that nothing would change. But moving that many versions, it is possible that something happens.

My suggestion: Make sure you are on a supported SQL Server release. Take a backup and restore to a development environment and then run the upgrade process to become familiar with it. Once you have that completed, schedule a maintenance window, take a verified backup, then upgrade and see if you have any issues. 

--- George T.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
George_Thompson

I would start with, you may want to upgrade to a newer (supported) version.

There were major changes between 10.0.x and 10.3.x enterprise geodatabases. I imagine that this may be part of the issue.

Is there a reason that you are not on a newer version, like at least 10.7.1?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
daniel__j
New Contributor II
Is there a reason that you are not on a newer version, like at least 10.7.1?

In my opinion, not a good one. My employer's IT department consisted of 1 person up until about two years ago. Basically keeping ArcGis software up to date has never been made a priority. Which is why we are stuck on 10.0 for the DB and 10.3.1 for ArcMap and ArcServer.

I have never updated enterprise DB before, how painful is the process? How much is going to break? I have multiple in house applications that require access to our production database.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Upgrading is usually a quick process on SQL Server. Here is the doc for going to 10.8.x: https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/gdbs-in-sql-server/upgrade-geodatabase-sqlse...

The biggest issue may be that you need to upgrade SQL Server to a supported release also.

Part of the issue would be that your ArcMap / Server are still on an unsupported version. Here is a compatibility doc: https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/geodatabases/client-geodatabase-compatibilit...

Hard to say 100% that nothing would change. But moving that many versions, it is possible that something happens.

My suggestion: Make sure you are on a supported SQL Server release. Take a backup and restore to a development environment and then run the upgrade process to become familiar with it. Once you have that completed, schedule a maintenance window, take a verified backup, then upgrade and see if you have any issues. 

--- George T.
daniel__j
New Contributor II

Alright sounds good. Thanks for the links and for all your help. I will get to work on doing this. As is probably obvious, it's long been overdue.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Be sure to document your steps and take verified backups before everything!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
daniel__j
New Contributor II

So far I have only updated to 10.3.1, but it went well! Of course now I have a follow up question ....

https://community.esri.com/t5/data-management-questions/dangers-of-migrating-spatial-storage-types/m...

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

The following jumps should be easier. I will comment on that question also

--- George T.
0 Kudos