Update part of a Mosiac Dataset 10.2.2.

06-02-2015 02:09 AM
NicholasO_Connor
New Contributor II

Hello ESRI Users

Please note names of TIFs and paths are made up for this example.

SDE 10.2.2. / ArcDesktop 10.2.2.

December 2014:  I created a colour Orthophoto Mosiac Dataset called AREA1 in SDE 10.2.2

[1] CreateMosaicDataset                         D:\RASTER\conn\1.sde  AREA1   4 BAND  8_BIT_UNSIGNED

[2] AddRastersToMosaicDataset             I added 1000 TIFs to the Mosiac Dataset – these are stored on the File System D:\RASTER\tifs\*.tif 

[3] DefineOverviews                                 Identified 8 overview levels - These are stored on the File System D:\RASTER\overviews\*. tif

[4] BuildOverviews

In part [2] the tifs are called 1.tif,2.tif, 3.tif…..999.tif, 1000.tif

Users access the Mosiac Dataset via an SDE connection.

All worked ok. Performance was good.

HOWEVER, we have now noticed that 4 tifs need replacing (500.tif,501.tif,502.tif and 504.tif) due to poor image quality.

I have naturally read the ESRI documentation and done some “googling” but I am still 100% unsure of the correct procedure.

Can anyone give me a “cookbook” / urls on what is the best procedure to make this update from your real-world experience?

Much appreciated.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
NicholasO_Connor
New Contributor II

Thanks Larry - time to start testing - I will report back as soon as I have some results.

0 Kudos
GabrielUpchurch1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Nicholas,

In regards to the most recent steps you have outlined:

[1]  The order that you add and remove the primary rasters shouldn't matter.  Deleting, defining, and rebuilding the overviews is going to have a much greater impact on anyone that is potentially using the mosaic dataset.  Also, if you happen to have a service running off of the mosaic dataset, I would probably stop it.  I rarely work on the service side but some changes to a mosaic dataset are not possible if a service is using it.

[2]  Did you rebuild the footprints on the original primary rasters?  If not, then there is no reason to do this with the new rasters.  Footprints are automatically built when adding rasters and automatically deleted when removing rasters.  Unless you need to modify the default footprints generated by the software, then you shouldn't need to rebuild the footprints.

[3]  I prefer the manual selection as Larry demonstrated but I would try the settings in the screenshot below.  See my comment on the "Update Cell Size Ranges" option in my previous post.

Remove_Rasters.jpg

[4] and [5]  I would deviate from these steps in my initial testing.  I would first try just using the Build Overviews tool with the settings in the screenshot below.  I don't think you will need to use a query since the affected overviews have been marked while removing the primary rasters, but only testing will confirm this for sure.  Since you have previously defined satisfactory overview levels, then regenerating only the affected overviews may be a more efficient approach than deleting, defining, and rebuilding all overviews.  Of course, if the results are not satisfactory, you can always delete, define, and rebuild all the overviews.

Build_Overviews.jpg

NicholasO_Connor
New Contributor II

Thanks for your inputs too Gabriel. Much appreciated.

Since I am the SDE Administrator / Oracle DBA - I can make sure no one is accessing the data while I perform my "other job" as Raster Administrator 😉

I will try your and Larry's workflows and report back my findings.

Once again thank you both for your feedback and I hope this forum posting helps others too.

0 Kudos
GabrielUpchurch1
Occasional Contributor III

One thing I failed to explicitly mention in my last post, only in a previous post, is that if you add the new rasters with the "Update Cell Size Ranges" option disabled, you will need to go into the Footprint attribute table and manually add MinPS and MaxPS values for the new rasters.  It's really up to you whether you disable or enable this particular setting when adding rasters.  I am just cautious about allowing the software to recalculate the MinPS and MaxPS values for all the primary rasters and overviews after I have configured the mosaic dataset the way I need it to be.

NicholasO_Connor
New Contributor II

Hi Gabriel, Larry + Everyone else who has helped.

Finally got round to further testing. Both methods suggested by Gabriel (build overviews which are stale) and Larry (delete all overviews and build) worked with no active connections to the data.

1. RemoveRastersFromMosaicDataset: "OBJECTID = x" for the Primary Rasters
  2. AddRastersToMosaicDataset: Add new Primary Rasters
  3. BuildOverviews: Generate Overviews + Regenerate Stale Overview Images Only checked

Question to Gabriel you wrote,  "..I don't think you will need to use a query since the affected overviews have been marked while removing the primary rasters"..

After I have deleted the Primary Rasters - do I see in any Table which overviews have been marked for removal? I still do not see the link at the database Level between the Primary Rasters and Overviews.

Kind Regards

Nicholas

0 Kudos