Unreliable snapping points

09-20-2013 02:27 AM
BenLeslie1
Occasional Contributor III
I am finding that the mid-point snap tool is unreliable.  It often snaps to a point that is not mid-point and these eroneous snaps are inconsistent - sometimes it snaps to a point that is quite close to the correct mid-point and other times it snaps it somthing that is very obviously not mid.  I attach two images, one showing my geometry and one with an example of a bad mid-point.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27621[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27622[/ATTACH]

I also find that it snaps to features that a marked as unselectable in the TOC.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: timw1984

Hey Ben,

yes its me again! Just to give you a little explanation how midpoint works:

Midpoint allows you to place a point or vertex by clicking two points; the new point or vertex is placed at the midpoint of the line between these points.

Maybe the bolt part is your issue?

For you other question, it is normal that it snaps even to layers that are unselectable.
0 Kudos
BenLeslie1
Thank you, this is useful but I'm not talking about the "midpoint" tool - I'm talking about the "midpoint snapping" tool which I do not believe works in the way you have described and therefore I still believe is producing erroneous results.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27665[/ATTACH]

Am I correct in assuming that this is the best way to measure to the midpoint of a line or to move an existing feature to a midpoint?

Is there a way to make a feature un-snappable without making it invisible?
0 Kudos
BenLeslie1
I notice it only seems to produce these errors if I am zoomed-in to a scale of ~1:300 or greater.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: BTLeslie

???

Does anyone else experience this? 

It would be useful to know if this is a genuine fault or whether I might be doing something wrong or if there might be something wrong in my geometry.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: recurvata

Never used the midpoint snapping tool (never heard of it, actually), but are you sure that what you think should be the midpoint actually is? That is, it's not a separate connected segment? You might need to turn off other snapping as well (endpoint, vertex, etc), or maybe try using classic snapping. Just some ideas.
0 Kudos
BenLeslie1
Thanks for the reply.
I am pretty sure this is a genuine bug and I would like someone from ESRI to acknowledge it so I can have some hope that it will be rectified in the next round of bug fixes.  It's not a super important tool (work-arounds are possible) but I would like to use it and I believe if you provide a tool it must work reliably otherwise it undermines confidence in the whole of Arc.

I have tested this with very simple geometry (see my original post) and I still get erroneous mid-point snaps.

This is where you find mid-point snapping:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]28255[/ATTACH]I don't believe it is available in classic snapping.
0 Kudos
MaryLong
Esri Contributor

Hi Ben,

I know it's been 18 months since the last post, but I wanted to let you know that a bug was logged for this inconsistent behavior with midpoint snapping. BUG-000086478 - Midpoint snapping on line feature classes produces..