Unable to transfer a file with attachments to SDE

04-26-2013 08:12 AM
RudyCharlot
New Contributor III
Hi everyone,
I would like to have some help on the following issue.
I created an attachment map that I've been working with in a gdb database. Now I want to transfer the map with all the attachments to an SDE database so that I can continue to work with it and other users can use it as well. However, when I copy and paste the file to the SDE database I get an error message. see attached. I'm not sure what can I do to fix this problem. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rudy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23790[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Rudy,

My guess, the Maximum BLOB size exceeded [data] error message is probably causing the paste to fail.  This error message is thrown when the MAXBLOBSIZE server config setting is too low.  This setting is used to limit how large a user defined BLOB column can be.  The actual attachments are stored in a BLOB column called 'data' in the related __ATTACH table.  Here's some more details on ArcSDE Server Config table.  The MAXBLOBSIZE paramater is listed here:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/#/The_SERVER_CONFIG_system_table/002n0000000z000000/

Pre-10.0, MAXBLOBSIZE was set to 1,000,000.  To support new 10.0 functionality, like attachments, all ArcSDE geodatabases created or upgraded to 10.x should have had this setting set to unlimited (-1).  Is your ArcSDE geodatabase upgraded to at least 10.x?  If not, this will need to be done before you can attempt to paste the feature class again.  If the geodatabase has been upgraded, then you will need to alter this parameter.  Here's some more info on altering these parameters:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/#/Altering_SERVER_CONFIG_parameters/002n00000012000000...

John O
0 Kudos
RudyCharlot
New Contributor III
Hey John,
Thank you for the reply. We are currently using ArcGIS 10.0 and I believe our sde database has not been upgraded to 10.0 as yet. perhaps I should wait until it is upgraded to 10.0 and try your idea. I'll let you know when it happens.
I appreciate your help.

Regards,
Rudy C.
0 Kudos