True Curves as a Complex Edge in a Geometric Network

11-14-2012 07:26 AM
BrittJohnson
New Contributor III
Hello,

In the process of updating our water model schema, I ran into the error of "Cannot do 3D operations on curve segments" when attempting to build the geometric network. The only way I could find to build the network was to generalize all of the features in the main and lateral feature classes, then this allowed the geometric network to be built as normal. I also tested out building the network without Z-snapping enabled, the network would seem to build normally; however, when trying to edit features in ArcMap an error of "The feature does not have any associated geometry" would pop up when trying to create new line features.

The true curves had been digitized into the previous geometric network by our technicians since our last re-build of the network; I believe this was why I have not run into this issue before. Are true curves not allowed in the geometric network? I have not been able to locate any documentation that explicitly indicates that.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ToddBlanchette
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Britt.  I've tried to answer this at another location Error "Cannot do 3D operations on curved segments" which offers an option to solve this, but I cannot for the life of me find "official" documentation as to why it's not allowed either.  Maybe someone will chime in between the 2 posts with more info.

Cheers,

Todd

0 Kudos
BrittJohnson
New Contributor III

Hey Todd.

Yeah that's pretty much how we've been getting around that problem too. We have instructed our technicians not to draw in true curves; and if they have to draw some in to make sure to generalize them before posting the edits.

Britt

0 Kudos