Error "Cannot do 3D operations on curved segments"

Jump to solution
06-08-2015 06:00 AM
AndrewGianikas
New Contributor III

Our route server is returning this error "Unable to complete operation: Cannot do 3D operations on curved segments" when you try to process a route.  Many routes work great but there is are a few areas of the map that cause this issue.  We have a custom map and route service.   The guy who manages the server does not seem to know what this error is so I am hoping someone here does 🙂  Any help is greatly appreciated!  If you need more details please let me know.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ToddBlanchette
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Andrew,

Unfortunately, you're not the only one with this issue.  See True Curves as a Complex Edge in a Geometric Network​ from 2012. From what I've read, there have been issues going back a while with not being able to linear reference in 3D with true curves.  The best solution I've seen to date is to generalize all your true curves using the Densify_Editing tool.

See ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2) for more info.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ToddBlanchette

Hi Andrew,

Unfortunately, you're not the only one with this issue.  See True Curves as a Complex Edge in a Geometric Network​ from 2012. From what I've read, there have been issues going back a while with not being able to linear reference in 3D with true curves.  The best solution I've seen to date is to generalize all your true curves using the Densify_Editing tool.

See ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2) for more info.

Hope this helps!

AndrewGianikas
New Contributor III

Todd thank you for the reply.  My role on the project is as the web developer.... It sounds like the "Densify_Editing tool" is part of the server?

0 Kudos
ToddBlanchette

Part of the Desktop suite of editing tools.  The error is with the source data itself and not with anything the server is doing.  It's trying to create a linear reference to "route" you through the network, but it's having issues with 3D true curves.  I would get in contact with your data custodian/editor/owner and pass the previous info on to them.  They will need to edit the data directly.

AndrewGianikas
New Contributor III

thank you Todd this is very helpful.

0 Kudos