How can I show particular records in related tables?

Jump to solution
04-29-2015 02:11 PM
SusanMordy1
New Contributor II

I was wondering...how can I display particular records in a related table published as a feature service?

For example, I have a polygon that is related to many species. How can I just show the related records for species "X" when a user selects the polygon? Is this possible?

I have tried applying a definition query to the related tables in ArcMap before publishing as a feature service, but this does not seem to affect the records available for display within the feature service

Any thoughts on how I can go about achieving this?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ToddBlanchette
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Susan,

To achieve this, you must create a relationship class between your features and the related table.  Then, both the feature class and the related table MUST be present in the MXD when publishing your feature service.  Everything should be good from that point.

From online help:

Feature services also allow queries on related data. For example, a published map document can have layers and tables that are related through geodatabase relationship classes. In this case, the feature service allows queries on a layer to return objects from the related layer or table. Note that to support queries that return related objects, both the table and the layer involved in the relationship class must be in the published map document. If either the origin and/or destination layer or table is not included in the map document, the relationship is ignored by the feature service.

ArcGIS Help 10.1

Cheers,

Todd

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddBlanchette
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Susan,

To achieve this, you must create a relationship class between your features and the related table.  Then, both the feature class and the related table MUST be present in the MXD when publishing your feature service.  Everything should be good from that point.

From online help:

Feature services also allow queries on related data. For example, a published map document can have layers and tables that are related through geodatabase relationship classes. In this case, the feature service allows queries on a layer to return objects from the related layer or table. Note that to support queries that return related objects, both the table and the layer involved in the relationship class must be in the published map document. If either the origin and/or destination layer or table is not included in the map document, the relationship is ignored by the feature service.

ArcGIS Help 10.1

Cheers,

Todd