Trouble Editing - New feature disappears when de-selected

11-13-2013 06:02 AM
BrianBoisvert
New Contributor II
Hi,

I've been trying to edit a shape file this morning, and every time I de-select the feature, it disappears. I start an edit session. I choose polygon from the templates in the Create Features window. I draw the new feature. I right click and finish the sketch, but as I draw, I notice the polygon isn't showing at all (no fill). I input attributes in the attribute table. Then, when I de-select it disappears but still is located in the attribute table. When I select it in the attribute table, it is highlighted in the map. I checked the styling and layer order. I can see features of the same file right next to it. When I save edits, it disappears from the attribute table and no longer exists in the file.

It's been a frustrating morning! Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Tags (2)
7 Replies
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor
It sounds as though you have a definition query on the dataset, and the feature you are creating is being excluded by the query, so it "disappears" from the table and display.
Best Regards,
Jim
TrishRice
Occasional Contributor III
In the same vein as the definition query, it might be a symbology thing making it invisible.  If your attribute is a different value than what your symbology draws and you have unchecked 'all other values' from showing up then it would be invisible.
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor
In the same vein as the definition query, it might be a symbology thing making it invisible.  If your attribute is a different value than what your symbology draws and you have unchecked 'all other values' from showing up then it would be invisible.

Not in this case, as it disappears from the attribute table as well.
0 Kudos
BrianBoisvert
New Contributor II
I believe we have found the issue. A coworker and I have been going back and forth editing shape files; I am using Arcmap and she is using Autodesk Map 3D. After exporting the shape file as a new shape file, and replacing the links, everything seems to be working ok. If anyone has any other tips, tricks or experience going back and forth between the two programs, I'd love to hear it.

Thank you for your other suggestions.
TrishRice
Not in this case, as it disappears from the attribute table as well.

The OP says it disappears from the drawing but is still in the attribute table and he can select it from there.  I've experienced this problem when I edit points.  The first time I ran into this, I must've added the point four or five times trying to get it to draw before I realized it was my symbology.  Then had to go back and clean up my attribute table.
0 Kudos
BrianBoisvert
New Contributor II
That was the case until I tried to save the edit session.
0 Kudos
TrishRice
I believe we have found the issue. A coworker and I have been going back and forth editing shape files; I am using Arcmap and she is using Autodesk Map 3D. After exporting the shape file as a new shape file, and replacing the links, everything seems to be working ok. If anyone has any other tips, tricks or experience going back and forth between the two programs, I'd love to hear it.

Thank you for your other suggestions.

Ah ok.  I've had issues with Map 3D corrupting shapefiles so I avoid editing them from there anymore.
0 Kudos